D G C G C D - anyone using DGCGCD other than for the Rain Song?

What's Hot
I like to dedicate an acoustic guitar to each of my favourite tunings, 
Then I can get the  gauges right, and don't have to fight the instrument for a few minutes every time I want to play in a tuning

I've put one into  DGCGCD recently, and learned to  play the Rain Song in it, I had learned a n EADGBE arrangement as a kid, which does not allow the  right feel

I do like the sound of this tuning, I assume JP also uses it for his non-DADGAD middle-eastern sounding  pieces, since it's easy to drift into  that sort of stuff if you improvise with  DGCGCD
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Funnily enough, a tuning I'm messing with at the moment - C sus 2 ( allegedly!!) , just requires you to drop the bass D to a C ( in the DGCGCD tuning)  or thinking of it in intervals 151512. 

I keep putting myself into a trance with it, it's fantastic sounding. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    Funnily enough, a tuning I'm messing with at the moment - C sus 2 ( allegedly!!) , just requires you to drop the bass D to a C ( in the DGCGCD tuning)  or thinking of it in intervals 151512. 

both would be C sus2 I think,  
    you must have heavier strings than me if the bottom C string is not flopping about
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    DGCGCD is not far off CGCGCD, which has been widely used by some of the top folkie names, Martin Simpson, Nic Jones, Chris wood uses it a lot, Sam Carter etc.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    If you like CGCGCD you should try the Nic Jones variant, which is BbFBbFBbC.
  • BahHumbug said:
    If you like CGCGCD you should try the Nic Jones variant, which is BbFBbFBbC.
    Nice one pal, I'll give that one a go. Thanks.

I'm a right gormless bleeder with these alternate tunings, so these suggestions are really useful.

• Funnily enough, a tuning I'm messing with at the moment - C sus 2 ( allegedly!!) , just requires you to drop the bass D to a C ( in the DGCGCD tuning)  or thinking of it in intervals 151512. 

both would be C sus2 I think,  
    you must have heavier strings than me if the bottom C string is not flopping about
    Not really, I'm using Newtone Heritage series 12-51...and they're low tension to boot...

I reckon it's the drone from this string played open that's causing the trance...
  • I play it in standard tuning, although I know it in Page's tuning also, funny thing is I prefer to play it standard because it is more challenging and I've always liked the way it sounds although admittedly it is only an approximation of the original track.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I've only ever used that tuning for The Rain Song, in the same way that I've only ever used Gb Gb Db Gb Db Gb for another one of his: Wonderful One.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    I like to dedicate an acoustic guitar to each of my favourite tunings, 
    Then I can get the  gauges right, and don't have to fight the instrument for a few minutes every time I want to play in a tuning

I've put one into  DGCGCD recently
    yes TC,I've dabbled - I tend to treat it as CGCGCE - open 'C' but with 'd's' in the bass and treble.
    Somewhat like u I have one guitar I string for 'tunnings'  and mess about with variations till I find something that fits my tunes.
    Rain song is a nu one on me.