Wife's long fingernails

What's Hot
jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
My wife shocked me recently by saying she wanted to learn to play an acoustic . She's a drummer by nature but fancied a new challenge .

The problem is she is reluctant to trim her nails.

So is she wasting her time or will she adapt eventually?

I notice Dolly Parton manages ok
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15583
    I'm pretty sure I've never actually seen dolly play with those long nails, the guitar is just a prop. Personally I can't see how she could play, but mebbe it's possible.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Long fingernails on right hand are essential for classical nylon guitar playing. The ones on the left have to go, though!
  • You can't play traditional guitar techniques with long fretting fingernails.

Slide/open tuning styles maybe...

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33815
    Long fingernails on right hand are essential for classical nylon guitar playing. The ones on the left have to go, though!
    You don't ned nails to play classical- it is just traditional to do so.
    Steve Howe plays nylon with no nails.
    Well, he has nails, they aren't long though.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    You don't need them, but they certainly help! I play hybrid on electric w/ short fingernails, but I began by playing classical and the fingernails were great. Well, in fact I started with these - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_guitar
  • You can't fret properly with long nails. IMO picking with long nails is also difficult, I prefer them just 0.5mm proud of the fingertip.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Sadly that's what I though.

I'm hoping that she will get really into it and cut them off herself. I have mentioned it but I don't want to put her off really. :-/
  • You don't need them, but they certainly help! I play hybrid on electric w/ short fingernails, but I began by playing classical and the fingernails were great. Well, in fact I started with these - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_guitar
    Sor point  >:D<
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    its a fucker to wipe yer arse well,  thank god I wipe with me left   :D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertie said:
    I have always used toilet paper! :|
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Another thing, don't let the missus practice on your good guitars without trimming her nails first, they'll put nast divets all over your fretboard!
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    bertie said:
    You got an arse well??? :-O
    I wouldn't want to drink water of it!! :-S 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    I had a girl student a while back who refused to cut her nails. I discovered with her that if you fret at 45degrees-ish from parallel to the frets, rotating along the axis of the arm it becomes quite possible.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    surprisingly its not the problem i thought it would be, admittedly her finger nails are a bit shorter than they were
    but as daveyh said it is possible, although not ideal 
    :-?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    VimFuego;11162" said:
    I'm pretty sure I've never actually seen dolly play with those long nails, the guitar is just a prop. Personally I can't see how she could play, but mebbe it's possible.
    I have seen footage of her play. With the long nails. Quite a weird thing to watch.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • No idea how to do a YouTube link on my phone but go on YouTube, search Dolly Parton Parkinson and watch her play and sing Coat of Many Colors.
  • VimFuego;11162" said:
    I have seen footage of her play. With the long nails. Quite a weird thing to watch.
    Ok - I'll admit this. Me and my wife saw Dolly Parton at the O2 in London a few years ago. I was pretty far away but when she was playing it didn't look right. I wondered if she was miming. It might be she has just developed some strange style, but I was suspicious.
  • benvall said:
    VimFuego;11162" said:
    Ok - I'll admit this. Me and my wife saw Dolly Parton at the O2 in London a few years ago. I was pretty far away but when she was playing it didn't look right. I wondered if she was miming. It might be she has just developed some strange style, but I was suspicious.
    I just watched the Parkinson/Coat of Many Colours clip through once and the singing and guitar are both so good I could easilly be convinced she is miming both but yet it looks authentic. There is no obvious micing up of either but then those interviews would have been done with big boom mics so they could have been in use. I haven't seen Dolly live but MrsTheWeary went to Dollywood when she was living in the States.
  • TunezTunez Frets: 15
    Dolly's the real deal. I have the same problem with female students from time to time, wouldn't recommend to learn to play like that but if you can sing and write with an ounce of her ability, who gives a fuck about chops!