Katana

What's Hot
NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
A decent review of the new Katana. I think it sounds fantastic...

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    The problem is Tom Quale could fart into a bean tin and it would sound like a choir of angels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Another video (50w one though)

I think it sounds great.  A lot of amp for £165
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2441

Sounds great. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    edited October 2016

Sounds pretty good.  I'm swinging towards the line 6 Spider V for the acoustic/electric versatile house/jam amp slot.  But i'm going to just wait until they are both available and try them out side-by-side.  But certainly from some of the later clips they sound good, especially in the lower gain range which I play.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    That's an excellent review and it sounds great. I know Tom Quayle is a great player and has a seriously good tone anyway but he clearly like the amp.  

One to try I think. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I quite fancy one of these. Why is the head more expensive than the 100w 2x12 combo though?
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    No it's not, I'm an idiot. It's more expensive than the 1x12 100w.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Sounds like a Roland Blues Cube with more gain and effects. Sounds like it has that same harsh upper mids.

• ennspek said:
    I quite fancy one of these. Why is the head more expensive than the 100w 2x12 combo though?
    ennspek said:
    I think the head has more features than the combo - certainly it has MIDI, which the combos lack.
    <space for hire>
  • ennspek said:
    ennspek said:
    I think the head has more features than the combo - certainly it has MIDI, which the combos lack.
    The head also has a small speaker in it, so you can use it for quiet practice even without a cab.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Regarding that first video, does anyone outside the world of guitar wankery actually gig with that much gain?
    I've never heard anyone who gets paid on a weekly basis use anything remotely approaching that much compression and sustain, it's just silly.

I'm left with the impression it's being marketed as a children's bedroom amp, which seems like a waste.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I lost the will to live 3 minutes into the video.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    Regarding that first video, does anyone outside the world of guitar wankery actually gig with that much gain?
    I've never heard anyone who gets paid on a weekly basis use anything remotely approaching that much compression and sustain, it's just silly.

I'm left with the impression it's being marketed as a children's bedroom amp, which seems like a waste.

I made a very similar point on one of the previous videos. 

I imagine channels 3 and 4 will probably be completely unusable outside of a bedroom, but that's probably not an issue for most of the target market.
  • You don't have to gun those channels. I've got a high-gain valve amp. I can get some lovely lower-gain tones on the lead channel that I can't get on the other channels.

Rather tempted by the Katana head. Especially since I looked up the USB software and the number of effects on offer in that.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    That's why I'm disappointed, I play clean-ish country style guitar but always use high gain heads - usually a JCA100HDM but currently a pair of Custom 22s in stereo. 
    They clean up beautifully from the guitar and are way more versatile than the obvious choices for my style. 

I know these videos have to show how much gain is available, but that totally squashed, guitar-patch-on-a-home-keyboard type sounds tell me absolutely nothing about how the amp responds to dynamic, musical input with a bit of light and shade. 

tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    That's why I'm disappointed, I play clean-ish country style guitar but always use high gain heads - usually a JCA100HDM but currently a pair of Custom 22s in stereo. 
    They clean up beautifully from the guitar and are way more versatile than the obvious choices for my style. 

I know these videos have to show how much gain is available, but that totally squashed, guitar-patch-on-a-home-keyboard type sounds tell me absolutely nothing about how the amp responds to dynamic, musical input with a bit of light and shade. 

Ooo @p90fool I have a JCA22, but I'm quite interested in the Custom 22. 

Does it have a real clean channel, or is it like the others that have a distortion and "more distortion" channels?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    p90fool said:

Ooo @p90fool I have a JCA22, but I'm quite interested in the Custom 22. 

Does it have a real clean channel, or is it like the others that have a distortion and "more distortion" channels?
    I very briefly had one of the Custom 22's and whilst the 'clean' channel did seem cleaner than the JCA22 I'd tried before the revolved drive channel was a lot 'heavier' to my ears than the JCA22. On reflection I should've bought the JCA22..
  • Andertons have a vid that's a bit more varied than some of the others.

• Oh they've done two vids, get to see it used as an acoustic amp on this one.

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Oh they've done two vids, get to see it used as an acoustic amp on this one.

I can't quite work out why someone would need to put an acoustic through it. Around here we put the acoustics straight through the PA. Acoustic combos often have a mic channel for those doing solo acoustic gigs without a PA but I don't think Katana has a mic input?
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.