Thumb pick too small

What's Hot
So I got a large Fred Kelly Delrin thumb pick and it's way too tight.  Soaked it in hot water and it fits but slips.  My thumbs are an inch and a quarter at the joint and at the bottom of my nail, where the pick sits, basically wide but flat.  What's the solution?  Grow my nails?
Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cut your thumb down to size.  ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    My thumb pick was too small, but a combination of massage, tugging and a device I bought off ebay and things have improved a bit. We are talking euphemisms here right?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Mmmmm, picks, picks picks - always a bit of a problem.
    I don’t have strong nails but play exclusively with my finger tips + thumb.
    I have large hands, I just keep a hint of nail on my fingers to give an accurate note. Regular maintenance / care is important leading up to a session / gig.
    The thumb has been taken care of with Zookie ‘M-20’ a medium pick (with a twist - literally) by Dunlop. the ‘twist’ is the angle of the picking face as most ‘thumb strokes’ don’t fall horizontally in line with the strings the twist compensates for this allowing the picking face to hit the string - flat on.
    This may not sound important - 1: u get a nice full sounding note.
    2: conventional picks ware on the ‘attacking edge’ of the playing surface and become serrated with ware - but if u’r playing a ‘good’ guitar - plugged in, it can sound like a file scraping the strings.
    It’s a case of finding what works for u, they’re a good fit and are available in 3 different ’sizes’.
    good luck

https://58eca9fdf76150b92bfa-3586c28d09a33a8c605ed79290ca82aa.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/dunlop-zookies-angled-thumb-pick-12-pack-med-20-320420.jpg

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    That's interesting as I don't use a normal pick on the electric flat, I don't think anyone does.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Double sided sellotape round your thumb?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Image result for staple gun

Or one these.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    To be honest masking tape works well, I'II check out the Dunlop pick as @AliGorie says, after all I never play with a normal pick on the electric when it's flat and flat thumpicks do seem a bit draggy.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    I never could get a thumb pick to work, so if anyone has an answer I'll be happy to hear it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    Roland said:
    I never could get a thumb pick to work, so if anyone has an answer I'll be happy to hear it.
    The Herco Flat Thumbpicks are a viable halfway house and might just work for you. Go for heavy gauge as the medium and light gauges slip around too much and also expect to have to trim the oversized flat to suit your preference.
  • The only brand I've got on with is Dunlop (size large), other brands are either too tight or too loose.
    I'II have to waste some cash and experiment.  Been playing ten minutes and my thumb toiop has gone tingling.  Doesn't help I have white finger in my right hand either.  Way too small.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    Thumb picks are hideous things.... Play with a flat pick - or your fingers....
    Bite my fingers, permanently anxious most nights and looking for something to shine the light that doesn't exist though eh, so no possibility.

Thanks man.  I love you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Mmmmm, picks, picks picks - always a bit of a problem.
    I don’t have strong nails but play exclusively with my finger tips + thumb.
    I have large hands, I just keep a hint of nail on my fingers to give an accurate note. Regular maintenance / care is important leading up to a session / gig.
    The thumb has been taken care of with Zookie ‘M-20’ a medium pick (with a twist - literally) by Dunlop. the ‘twist’ is the angle of the picking face as most ‘thumb strokes’ don’t fall horizontally in line with the strings the twist compensates for this allowing the picking face to hit the string - flat on.
    This may not sound important - 1: u get a nice full sounding note.
    2: conventional picks ware on the ‘attacking edge’ of the playing surface and become serrated with ware - but if u’r playing a ‘good’ guitar - plugged in, it can sound like a file scraping the strings.
    It’s a case of finding what works for u, they’re a good fit and are available in 3 different ’sizes’.
    good luck

https://58eca9fdf76150b92bfa-3586c28d09a33a8c605ed79290ca82aa.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/dunlop-zookies-angled-thumb-pick-12-pack-med-20-320420.jpg