Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

how many gigs do you play a year?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Last year: 42.
    This year: 30 so far.

Originals acoustic band with no vocals, and we are doing mostly paying gigs. If we can get gigs any bugger can!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Up until 5 years ago I was doing between about 20 and 30. Then a steady decline.

This year it's been 8.

Right now I'm not sure I'll do any more gigs and I'm not in a band. I'm more interested in home recording my own stuff.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This year will be around 10, maybe just under. Previous band averaged 25 ish, mixture of regular slots and clumps of niche festivals and the like.

as with many others above, I'd struggle to do any more than that without negatively impacting everything else I need to do.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    20 tops usually but only 8-9 this year. We've been off since the beginning of September too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I haven't played out in three years. In my last gigging band it was 4.
  • 130ish maybe? Across 3 bands 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    22 this year, which is about right for me at this point with family and work commitments.
  • One this year and one last.  Possibly two in '17.  Last paid gig was about 1980 as support for The Rezillos.  I've just noticed that they're touring again but didn't get a call though...
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    This year's been rubbish for them due to a few factors - 15 so far, 2 more to go. 4 of them were in Italy though, which was nice.

25 in 2015
    25 in 2014
    28 in 2013
    30 in 2012
    45 in 2011
    49 in 2010
    50 in 2009

Next year I want to do a lot more than the last few. I feel like 50 is about the right number if you want to be in an active band and perform to enough new people to maintain a following, without feeling like you're up against the grindstone. The quality of the gigs matter too - if you spend a year playing loads of shitty poorly attended gigs on weeknights that have you leaving work early and battling through rush hour to get 150 miles to a show no one cares about, that gets demoralising pretty fast.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Since joining my current band (metal originals), 25 over six years. So not many. Busiest year was 2012, when we did 9.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    8 this year so far, about 20 per year the two years before that.
  • I joined my (first ever) band in March. We did our first gig in the summer and have done 5 now. I think that is perfect for me with how busy I am with work and a young family.  Hopefully we can continue that sort of rate and get to a point where we are doing a dozen or so a year.  Im in it for the sheer fun of it but it's pretty nice to get some cash for doing it too.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Shamefully few. On course for 5. It might be 6 before January if I luck out. It was my goal to play out more. Gigging nights are still special for me and I'm not young enough to play the keyed-up twat role on these occasions. I hope to gig a lot more next year.
  • 35 last year, will be 26 when we get to the end of this year.
    All good fun, from pubs and clubs to proper grown up functions.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    We only do twenty odd a year, suits me.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • A brave few - so it is 
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• Only about 20 or so this year. I've been travelling a bit so was away during usual busy periods. Next year should be busier and it's a real mixed bag. Got stuff in with my main blues band, got a new acoustic duo, got restaurant gigs in as a duo with the singer from said blues band, hopefully get a few function bookings, will probably get a couple of theatre gigs come in and have been asked to run a jam night at the pub opposite my house too. 'Music' is my living....majority is earned via teaching guitar though.....