Custom Cool etch parts

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    ThePrettyDamned said:    IMAGINE ETCHED PICKUP COVERS.
    I have... nice thought    :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChap said:
    Oh and Chris, that quote button sticks a litlle ;)
    ;) - Ipad doesn't like it much it would seem....  Sorted now, ha ha!
  • Welcome to the site mate, how are you getting on with the Oil City pickups?
    The guitar I'm putting them on isn't ready yet, but I'm really looking forward to trying them out :)  Will let you know.
  • But seriously, they look fab.  I reckon a nice addition to the range would be the neck plate - it would use less material, so reduce cost and make for a more 'available' item.  It's also an ideal 'tester' to see if people like the effect or not.

Just my thoughts.  

But seriously

etched pickups.  A humbucker rusted and relic'd with a rose etched into it would look AWESOME.

You're thinking just like us mate.  We're looking into an etched part for the filtertron types which mojo are making (replacement to the plastic insert) but we're having problems with the depth of the metal - need to send the man an email!

Pickup covers would be great - I have a Trussart custom T type with a rose guard and etched roses on the humbucker cover.  I think we need to source nickel humbucker covers if anyone can point me in the right direction.  Similarly neck plates and control plates, but accessing a supply of nickel control plates and neckplates is proving difficult.  Axesrus are having a look for us.  Again, any guidance would be welcomed as we're still on the steep learning curve thing here....

• Yeah, chrome seems much easier to source than nickel. I've gone chrome for my tele, just because I had such a hard time sourcing nickel parts before.

Good luck though! I really like the look.
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Hi ddlooping. Thanks for suggestion and yes please move it. I don't know how to yet.
    Done. ;)

It's easy, simply edit your opening post by clicking on the little gear image that appears when you put your mouse over it (the post that is). :)
  • Yeah, chrome seems much easier to source than nickel. I've gone chrome for my tele, just because I had such a hard time sourcing nickel parts before.

Chrome is a pain to do anything with - which is why people use it I suppose!  I have some soaking in a solution of something not too nasty at the moment to see if I can dull it down but am not holding out much hope (not wanting to go the HCL route).

Thanks - got it!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Hmm, got me thinking about a full front panel to make a guitar look like a zemaitis that was sent back in time about 500 years....   I may have just the guitar, if only i had the money  :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    If you were able to do pickup covers, could you match the pattern with the pickguard (thinking SG here, but could apply to others) so it all kind of flows together?
  • Richardj said:
    If you were able to do pickup covers, could you match the pattern with the pickguard (thinking SG here, but could apply to others) so it all kind of flows together?
    Yes, if we had the pickup covers we could definitely do that!  Very Trussart, btw....
  • WezV said:
    Hmm, got me thinking about a full front panel to make a guitar look like a zemaitis that was sent back in time about 500 years....   I may have just the guitar, if only i had the money  :(
    Yeah I love those old Zemaitis guitars (less so the new ones for a variety of reasons, but mostly because the  engraving isn't as complex or of a comparative quality).  AT the moment the biggest etch we can do is about the size of a strat replacement plate, but we will sort ouirselves out for bigger stuff eventually.  I'd love to have a crack at it - although as mentioned, it's Jane that does the creative work, not me.
  • Richardj said:
    Yep - I'm with you there.  If we had the covers we could do that.
  • WezV said:
    We get our inspiration from Zemaitis and Trussart - just we can't yet etch over the size of , say, a strat 'plate.  We'll get there eventually.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10376
    edited January 2014 tFB Trader
    Yeah, chrome seems much easier to source than nickel. I've gone chrome for my tele, just because I had such a hard time sourcing nickel parts before.

Thanks - got it!
    You don't want to be using anything other than nickel (or chromed nickel) for pickup covers. Most advertised as 'chrome' are chromed brass. Brass is much less magnetically 'transparent' than nickel and will muffle a pickup's tone. I would also be wary of putting anything other than a nickel or plastic (like the original) 'filler' in the top of a Filtertron style unit for the same reason. I can direct you to several  a sources of pure nickel (chrome plated or bare nickel) covers in many different designs, including humbucker sized filtertron... feel free to PM me :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TheGuitarWeasel;134418" said:
    Chris_akaBBB said:

ThePrettyDamned said:

Yeah, chrome seems much easier to source than nickel. I've gone chrome for my tele, just because I had such a hard time sourcing nickel parts before.

Thanks - got it!

You don't want to be using anything other than nickel (or chromed nickel) for pickup covers. Most advertised as 'chrome' are chromed brass. Brass is much less magnetically 'transparent' than nickel and will muffle a pickup's tone. I would also be wary of putting anything other than a nickel or plastic (like the original) 'filler' in the top of a Filtertron style unit for the same reason. I can direct you to several  a sources of pure nickel (chrome plated or bare nickel) covers in many different designs, including humbucker sized filtertron... feel free to PM me :)
    Nickel stuff ages nicer, too. With chrome, when it comes off, it looks nasty. Should last a while, though.

Same with black and gold, though I think they look better worn than chrome does.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104

Beautiful scratch plates and the one on the 52 Telecaster is just amazing.

I now know what I want for my birthday in March 

:D
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    If you did the right thickness - I'd be interested in a a lefty jazzmaster trem plate ... I suppose if I got someone else to manufacture the plate I could get you guys to decorate it..
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • frankus said:
    If you did the right thickness - I'd be interested in a a lefty jazzmaster trem plate ... I suppose if I got someone else to manufacture the plate I could get you guys to decorate it..
    Yeah that'd work, or maybe we could cut one from a template?
  • equalsql;134949" said:
    Beautiful scratch plates and the one on the 52 Telecaster is just amazing.I now know what I want for my birthday in March  :D
    Would love to. March isn't far away so drop us an email with what you might be after (no commitment).