Elixir strings - up close and personal

What's Hot
MistergMisterg Frets: 333
When @bluchargeboy changed his strings for these new fangled Elixir ones we had a look at them:

0.053" acoustic string

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh143/werdnayarg/webstuf/Elixir053coated.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh143/werdnayarg/webstuf/Elixir053cutend.jpg

Where the coating ends near the free end of the string - you can feel this point by sliding your fingers along the string.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh143/werdnayarg/webstuf/Elixir053endofcoating.jpg

Clever stuff...
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    String in a condom.

Explains pretty much everything I hate about them :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    If possible, I will never use any strings other than Elixirs.

They're the best strings out there by a mile.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Pfffft.  Feel all wrong to me.

However, I can imagine those of you who "shred" might like the slipperiness of them. Would that be a fair comment?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28207
    I don't shred, but I do like Elixirs. They sound consistent for months at a time and they feel sleeker than uncoated strings.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26584
    edited August 2013
    Chuffola said:

However, I can imagine those of you who "shred" might like the slipperiness of them. Would that be a fair comment?
    Yes.

Sporky said:
    I don't shred, but I do like Elixirs. They sound consistent for months at a time and they feel sleeker than uncoated strings.
    I do shred-lite a bit, and these are the main reasons I like them. I prefer the sound of strings when they're a bit broken in - Elixirs are pretty much at that point out of the packet, and they stay like that for at least 4 months for me. I hate changing strings, so this is a huge plus point.

Of course, there are other coated strings out there which don't do this. For example, Rotosound Nexus strings take it to the extreme and sound as dead as normal strings do after 9 months of constant playing, yet feel like they're wrapped in cotton. Horrible things.

D'Addario EXPs are somewhere in the middle for me.
    <space for hire>
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Bought some to try once, couldn't get on with them, went back to the shop the next day to buy some normal strings. Bloke behind the counter who often comes across as a bit 'wisdom of the ancients' commented, "Yeah, everyone seems to try those Elixir's.......Once'.. Are the D'addario's any different ?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    I first tried them 10 years ago now and wouldn't go back- to the point I really hate using anything else. They're not traditional, but I had a set of "something else" on my Tele from it's recent refret and after a month they felt noticeably "draggy" under the fingers. If I'm not gigging heavily I can run a set of Elixirs for 6 months at a minimum and they sound 95% as good as day 1 after that long.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    edited August 2013
    DrBob said:
    Are the D'addario's any different ?
    Yes, they're worse. Instead of feeling horrible and sounding thin and tinny, they feel horrible and sound dead and muffled.

:)

Actually I'm not sure - they sound worse but don't feel as bad. Swings and roundabouts...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've never felt much difference between Elixirs and regulars tbh but use them on my 335 and acoustic because they last so much longer.

I buy Rotosounds for the backup guitar mainly because you get an extra top E string in the pack.

Tried D'addarios once, hated them, felt horrible.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Chuffola said:

no
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • I like and use Elixirs exclusively on acoustic.

I'm still trying to find my ideal electric string.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I started using Elixirs when I got my taylor. Tried a set on my prs and have used them on every guitar since. Great strings.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    BigPaulie said:
    I like and use Elixirs exclusively on acoustic.

this, more or less
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    Sporky said:
    Big ol' +1 to that
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I am using them for my acoustic, and so far they seem pretty good. D'Addario EXP didn't last long enough to justify the cost, but Elixirs seem to. I bought a load of packets cheaply in that America. Can't quite get my head around gigging with 2-month-old strings though! :-S

When they fail (by becoming hard to tune accurately and losing sustain), it is usually the plectrum area where the coating has worn away.

I am intrigued by the electric version of these....

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

The first couple of years I played guitar I used exclusively Elixirs, just for the longevity.

Then I bought my second acoustic, which went for a full setup, and of course came back re-strung.  When I played the guitar properly for the first time, it was a real wow moment - it sounded so woody and punchy compared to my old acoustic, which seemed trebly and metallic sounding in comparison.  At the time I just thought I'd bought a better acoustic.

Since then I've done a string change to Elixirs on the same acoustic, and gotten back to that trebly sound I dont like - so I figure that for me, the Elixirs have been a mistake.

Maybe to someone elses ears my 'woody and punchy', is dull and lifeless?  Its pretty odd that someone else thinks Elixirs sound broken in, and its the total opposite for me.

• maraudermarauder Frets: 133
    I'm guessing that string is a Polyweb, not a Nanoweb?

• They sound new and shiny to me, but for my band that works well. I got a cedar top guitar which is a bit less strident than a spruce top (generalising), so it all balances out. :)

Having said that, I've never tried "proper" strings on this guitar, perhaps I am missing out!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • wordywordy Frets: 67
    marauder said:
    I'm guessing that string is a Polyweb, not a Nanoweb?
    Hmm... I'm just looking at my past orders, and I certainly ordered Nanoweb so far as I can see, but I may have had others too - couldnt swear to it.
  • BigPaulie said:
    I like and use Elixirs exclusively on acoustic.

I also tried them on both, like them on acoustic, but not on electric. My ideal electric string is still the Dean Markley's Vintage.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself