Mini humbucker routing template

What's Hot
Does anyone have one or know where I can get one? Full size humbucker templates are a tenner on eBay but the only mini ones are twice that and there are none from the UK.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Forgive if you know this old method already but you could make one, just need 4 bits of wood/MDF with at least good one straight edge on each, and same height -

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/misc/pup-rout-tmpl.jpg

A couple or three wraps of masking tape to give a bit of space to slot the pickups in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I didn't know that and it's a great solution. Thanks a lot.
    tFB Trader
    No worries, it's dead handy for all sorts, and best of all dirt cheap :)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    That's what I did when I wanted a p90 route
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Corvus said:

Forgive if you know this old method already but you could make one, just need 4 bits of wood/MDF with at least good one straight edge on each, and same height -

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/misc/pup-rout-tmpl.jpg

A couple or three wraps of masking tape to give a bit of space to slot the pickups in.

Would love to know what this solution was, but the image has disappeared and, along with it, the mystic ritual required to achieve enlightenment.

Any chance of a repost / update?

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    edited August 2022 tFB Trader
    Something like this but not necessarily so fancy

https://www.strangeguitarworks.com/routing-pickup-cavities-on-a-fender-jazz-bass/

Or do you need the body template?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    @jamesbisset don't know where the image is now, but as per Steve^^ - draw your rectangle, line up four lengths of wood as above (but without the slots & screws etc). If a router's going to ride on them the the pieces should be the same thickness, if doing it on a table or a pin router obvs that doesn't matter.
  • Something like this but not necessarily so fancy

Or do you need the body template?
    Well, fancy meeting you here! How are you sir? As despairing as the rest of us?

Yup - something like that but it’s antithesis, really. Two bits of wood and some masking tape is more my style.

I’ve had a couple of attempts making a template with 12mm MDF and although I’m getting closer, I keep thinking there’s an easier way than this somewhere...

• Corvus said:
    @jamesbisset don't know where the image is now, but as per Steve^^ - draw your rectangle, line up four lengths of wood as above (but without the slots & screws etc). If a router's going to ride on them the the pieces should be the same thickness, if doing it on a table or a pin router obvs that doesn't matter.
    Thanks @CorvusThe plan is to rout laminates (as in Laminated Semi Hollow Body) and I’m beginning to realise the issue is not the template, but the incredibly expensive 1/4in or 6mm top bearing router bits when I reach the corners. Might have to resort to some needle files *shudders*... 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27474
    You can’t beat a little bit of Bisset.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    If you're routing the body then your corners don't have to be so sharp as they're covered by the mounting ring 
  • @TTony 

FS. You too!

• @SteveRobinson ;

Plan is not to use a mounting ring, but you’re right. It might be the simplest solution.

tFB Trader
    I'd just use a straight cutter for the corners only esp in a thin lam top, the shank's only riding the template for a second. CA glue on the template edges assuming it's MDF, some wax too and don't force the router into the template as you do a quick whizz around the corner.
    Wouldn't do this on a plexi template though.

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    Do you remember there are three different types of rout's for Mini Humbucker's.

The one above is for mounting the pick up in a plastic surround that goes deep into the body, I use a 9.5mm router bit for this. There is also one almost identical but uses a 6mm router bit.

The next jig is for using a more conventional mounting ring, you will see you have to rout to little wings either side to accommodate the pick up feet. You can use a 9.5mm or a 6mm router bit for this.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• Yeah. I’m only making a template for the pickup I’ve got, mounted straight into the laminated top. But I’m aware that Gibson used P90 sized mounts for a while when they fitted Epiphone minis to guitars already routed for P90s. That’s a good option if decide I want the choice. 

Thanks. all good information.