Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Solid state fan....I've decided!!

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    edited January 2014
    martinw said:

It's certainly not pedantry to say that 'solid-state' amps are different animals to modelling amps, despite the obvious point that modelling amps contain solid state electronics. As Drew said.

To say they're the same is a bit like saying that a bridge and a fork are the same because they're both made of metal.

If the OP bought a Bandit expecting it to sound like a Mustang, I'm pretty sure he would be disappointed. (Not knocking Bandits of course, just they don't sound the same).

The pedantry might be in the terminology (as always) rather than the actuality. Pedantically, we should refer to 'non-modelling solid-state amps' maybe? Perhaps the pedantry is pointing out the incorrect or inconsistent use of words, when in reality usage of same is well understood.

;)

Analogue solid state seems the correct term to me.

I agree that it's not pedantry, but a lot of this sort of thing can come across like that :). Of course, to a true pedant it's never pedantry ;).

One of those things were you wonder if they can be improved ( or at least not made worse)by going for a better speaker/cab or if they have been voiced with the proprietary Fender cab in mind?
    In the case of the OP @Guitararse wether he would be getting the best out of it with his existing cab.Particularly brought to mind as @ICBM posted this and IIRC his experiment with the Blackstar ID's was that you pretty much need to stick to the intended ID cabs.
    Not necessarily - just that it sounded worse through what would normally be considered a "better" cab than a "worse" one - but I only had one example of each… maybe it just doesn't like G12T-75s. Perhaps an "even better" cab with Greenbacks or V30s would have been the other way round, I don't know.

I think they key is to understand how much difference the speakers make (huge, the biggest of any single component in the amplifier) and be willing to try different ones, rather than just not thinking about it as a lot of players seem to. Most know what type of pickups are in their guitar and many will be interested changing them, but far fewer even know what speakers are in their cabs - and the speakers make more difference than the pickups in many cases.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    OK so I feel in need of a bit of clarification here.

I am assuming that the accepted general terminology of a  'solid state amp' means one which is analogue all the way through pre amp and power amp.   Modelling amps I assume to be digital modelling pre amps (or hybrid) with usually solid state power amps (is class D the norm here?) but occasionally driving a tube power stage in some amps.

I am assuming there is no digital power section yet, is that correct?

Thanks for the clarification, and I'll take my 'pedant tree' outside and water it now...
    ;)

I am assuming that the accepted general terminology of a  'solid state amp' means one which is analogue all the way through pre amp and power amp.   Modelling amps I assume to be digital modelling pre amps (or hybrid) with usually solid state power amps (is class D the norm here?) but occasionally driving a tube power stage in some amps.

I am assuming there is no digital power section yet, is that correct?
    No, although Class D is sometimes (wrongly) referred to as digital. Class D does sound different from Class AB though, in my opinion. (Class A solid-state is extremely rare.)

I would say "solid state" (with silent "analogue" ;) ) does mean an amp which is analogue solid state all the way through, yes. (Excluding digital reverb on amps which have it.)

Really, modelling amps are hybrids, since they use two types of technology.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MarkGAKMarkGAK Frets: 118
    I highly recommend the Crush Pro series. They're the best sounding solid-state amps since the trusty Peavey Bandit. Personally, I think I might even go for one of those over a Rockerverb...
  • I really need to try one of those orange ones. I love the rockerverb distortion sound, so if it's even in the rough ballpark without having any grating or 'tiring' qualities to the sound (which is the worst thing you can have in an amp, and solid states suffer from it much more than valve) then it's a winner for me.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I love the rockerverb too, but I didn't like that it was two channels (I need 3 minimum really) but DAT REVERB.... absolutely the best amp reverb ever.
    Drew_fx said:
    I love the rockerverb too, but I didn't like that it was two channels (I need 3 minimum really) but DAT REVERB.... absolutely the best amp reverb ever.
    You've never played a Mesa Blue Angel then :).

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    @Nige458
    i didnt need to know that...i have had some massive gas about those Orange 120's.

I started out dismissing it, as i thought the magic of good solid state amps went with the 80's...but then listened to a few demo's and started liking them...then i talked myself out of it, because, lets be honest, those youtube clips are there to sell the product.

but with your comments...i think i will add this amp to my automated ebay seach emails!

thanks for giving me a reason to spend more money...
    ;)
  • Also, just an FYI, the Bandit at least does respond well to a tubescreamer pushing the drive channel for more saturation and sustain.

It doesn't react the in the same way as a valve amp typically would, but it does do the same kind of thing. I might see if I can build a simple clean boost and use that, too, as I like my route 66 set for the clean channel (ie tone wound down a bit, gain quite high, bass boost on and volume around unity).
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Also, just an FYI, the Bandit at least does respond well to a tubescreamer pushing the drive channel for more saturation and sustain.

It doesn't react the in the same way as a valve amp typically would, but it does do the same kind of thing. I might see if I can build a simple clean boost and use that, too, as I like my route 66 set for the clean channel (ie tone wound down a bit, gain quite high, bass boost on and volume around unity).
    Bandits are awesome...i have an old Peavey Studio 112...which is great..but one thing about Peavey Amps in general...i dont like the their look...and orange on the hand just looks good.

you can all flame me now...i am prepared...
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Also, just an FYI, the Bandit at least does respond well to a tubescreamer pushing the drive channel for more saturation and sustain.

I keep meaning to ask you actually, do you have any recording capabilities? Kinda interested to hear some stuff from the Bandit!
    samzadgan said:
    Bandits are awesome...i have an old Peavey Studio 112...which is great..but one thing about Peavey Amps in general...i dont like the their look...and orange on the hand just looks good. 

I like the look of Orange amps, although they don't suit all music styles visually. (But I'm surprised by the number of metal bands now using them, so I could be wrong on that.) They are almost certainly among the most visually distinctive of all amps - a couple of days ago I had to laugh when I saw a kids' music programme on the BBC and they had an Orange amp with the name gaffered-over, BBC "no advertising" style... lol

• Of course the Mustang is solid state! It's also a digital modeller. The distinction is between ANALOGUE solid state circuits like a Bandit and digital modelling solid state like the Mustang. You could in theory build a digital modeller using valves instead of transistors, which would then not be solid state, but it would be the size of a house and drain most of the national grid, and would no doubt be far too slow to run the modelling software... but that's not the point.

and all to ape what a simple valve circuit does naturally anyway!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • samzadgan;135478" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Yeah, they do look a bit rooted in the 80s...

But if that keeps them cheap, I'm happy! As it is, you can get a decent sounding and reliable stereo set up for 200 quid. Not bad.
  • Drew_fx;135493" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

I keep meaning to ask you actually, do you have any recording capabilities? Kinda interested to hear some stuff from the Bandit!
    Hoping to get a superlux pra 628 on forum advice in the next few weeks, then go through my pod studio. So not a top class set up, but should sometime be able to ball park some sounds for demo :)

You'll have to excuse my shitty playing though...

• GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    Nothing wrong with a bit of pedantry folks, it's a great way to learn new stuff! And I've learnt. Thanks for all your responses. Reckon I'm going to have to try the Blackstar ID 60 watt and the Orange CR60 now.

:D
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
  • Worth trying! If not, you know you like the mustang.

I have to admit, they can do some really, really nice fender tones. I was quite impressed with the one I tried, which was the smallest of the lot (just used in store to test the set up of my guitar). I could hardly believe the sound that came out!
    Yeah, I might go with the Mustang head, but whilst there are others to try....

OK, so an SS amp isn't the same as a modelling amp. Must be modelling amps for me then!  ;)
    Starting to think I could sell the old Marshall and put the cash towards a Gibson Midtown custom too, but I may well regret selling it. Hmmmm...
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    edited January 2014
    martinw said:

To say they're the same is a bit like saying that a bridge and a fork are the same because they're both made of metal.

Ah...but can you not also build bridges out of stone?