J200m vs other Gibson Acoustics

What's Hot
Going to Coda to take a look at a secondhand  J200M tomorrow.  Played one a few years ago it was great.  Have people played them back to back with j45s/Hummingbirds?

Keen on a big sounding acoustic.  Do not want a taylor - part ex'd a 9 series before after not liking it for years!

Appreciate the advice

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited November 2016
    More so than with any other acoustic - you have to try a Gibson and evaluate that specific example.

Some years ago I played a new J200 - it was one of the 'smallest' sounding acoustics I've ever played - in spite of being physically the largest.

I'm sure there are some great ones around - but in my experience, Gibsons vary a lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • More so than with any other acoustic - you have to try a Gibson and evaluate that specific example.

Some years ago I played a new J200 - it was one of the 'smallest' sounding acoustics I've ever played - in spite of being physically the largest.

I'm sure there are some great ones around - but in my experience, Gibsons vary a lot.
    Thanks - guess I'm used to it with the electrics!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Simple rule with Gibsons - make sure you can afford it on the spot if you go to look at one, because if it's 'the one' then you need to buy it right there. Equally, don't be pushed into buying it if it's not 'the one'.

It's almost impossible to generalise much beyond saying that they're extremely variable, more even than the electrics.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    I'm no expert at all.  I played an amazing Gibson Dove once.  Should have bought it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm a bit out of my depth... but isn't the J200M the same size as a J165? Does that mean its smaller dimensions can't quite produce the big tone of a 200?
  • I'm a bit out of my depth... but isn't the J200M the same size as a J165? Does that mean its smaller dimensions can't quite produce the big tone of a 200?
    Its a little smaller yea