Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

anybody like to Boogie?

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
Picked up the January 2014 Guitar Player ( think it has been on sale a while) and it has an interview with Randall Smith on the start of making Boogies. Technical enough that I got a bit lost and thought it might be of interest to those who are interested in amp innards. Also a short interview with Santana on his first Boogie and a review of the new Mesa Boogie King Snake.
Having contributed in a small way to the Princeton discussion interesting that the original Boogies were Princetons. I think I had known that somewhere but forgotten.

Can I also add that predictive text on my phone thinks this discussion is about Boobies?
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    And, of course, there is always a good Santana quote : if you rub your arms against each other that's how an amplifier should feel.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    I'm a Mark Series fan; I used to own a MkIII. That fat, middly sustain is great for the way I play. I know others (ICBM in particular) really don't get along with them. I recently down-loaded Santana's Moonflower album. To me, Carlos never sounded better than when he played his PAF loaded Yamaha SG2000 through a lot of Boogies.
    The story is Santana has rediscovered his mkI and the Kingsnake is based on that.
    I do have some Santana stuff tucked away in my CD rack and I'd have to say the earlier his stuff the better to my ears.
  • I do, but I need a special song
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I'm back to playing Boogie's after a few years touring Laney's (which i also love)

Coming back to a boogie is like coming homing home to a sexy girlfriend, it so easy to push all the right buttons and get what you want.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I've heard a Mark V being played; it was in Westside Distribution in Denmark Street, in their lower room. It was really loud, and sounded AMAZING. I wanted to buy one instantly!

But I will never buy a Mesa product in the UK. Fuck that noise. For the money, I'd rather get an Axe FX or something else that gives you that Mesa sound, without the premium pricing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Having contributed in a small way to the Princeton discussion interesting that the original Boogies were Princetons. I think I had known that somewhere but forgotten.
    Not really. They were totally rebuilt to the point that the only thing left of the original Princeton was the cabinet and chassis.

Drew_fx said:
    But I will never buy a Mesa product in the UK.
    I won't buy a new one either for the same reason. Wait a couple of years and the second hand prices aren't bad though, especially of the models no-one wants to lift.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited January 2014
    Bought a Cornford from a middle aged guy who bought it to replace his F50,,, used it twice and then wanted back to his F50,,,, My Luck though as saved myself £250 on a two week old only ungigged Cornford! So, I suppose I love Boogies for that reason!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Yes Sir! I can boogie.

(With a studio 22)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Another fan - Nomad45, Subway Rocket and a Mini Rectifier.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    timmysoft said:

Coming back to a boogie is like coming homing home to a sexy girlfriend, it so easy to push all the right buttons and get what you want.

Yep, definitely something female about them, for good or ill ;)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/834/epol.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Not really. They were totally rebuilt to the point that the only thing left of the original Princeton was the cabinet and chassis.

Drew_fx said:
    But I will never buy a Mesa product in the UK.
    I won't buy a new one either for the same reason. Wait a couple of years and the second hand prices aren't bad though, especially of the models no-one wants to lift.

The Trem o verb is the best amp I think Ive ever heard, and then I tried to lift it.
    The Trem o verb is the best amp I think Ive ever heard, and then I tried to lift it.
    I got used to it. The first part makes dealing with the second part worthwhile.

I'm still selling my second one though. Just don't need two, sadly!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

You need one for each hand, walking in to a venue with a Tremoverb under each arm would make you the boss of all music ever!
    timmysoft said:
    You need one for each hand, walking in to a venue with a Tremoverb under each arm would make you the boss of all music ever!
    I can actually do that, just. Surprisingly it's easier than carrying one! - at least if you mean by the top handle, because you're balanced - for a very short distance anyway ;).

I've always said that the top handle on these amps is not for carrying them though - it's a steering aid when using the wheels :). If you need to lift it you use the end handles.

ICBM said:
    timmysoft said:
    I can actually do that, just. Surprisingly it's easier than carrying one! - at least if you mean by the top handle, because you're balanced - for a very short distance anyway ;).

I've always said that the top handle on these amps is not for carrying them though - it's a steering aid when using the wheels :). If you need to lift it you use the end handles.
    One on each shoulder! 

Anyone who cant do this should man up and get buff!
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited January 2014
    ICBM;135269" said:
    lustycourtier said:The Trem o verb is the best amp I think Ive ever heard, and then I tried to lift it.

Trade for a bandit? I'll even throw in some partially used wudtone finish so you can do a partscaster.

Edit : did you ever try them in stereo, with lots of distortion and a Les Paul and reverb and delay and chorus and hugeness? If not, do it before you sell.
    Edit : did you ever try them in stereo, with lots of distortion and a Les Paul and reverb and delay and chorus and hugeness?
    Of course! Actually with a Rickenbacker with the pickups split in "Rick-o-Sound" and a stereo FX processor in the two loops.

:)

Not practical for the sort of gigs I do now though :(.

No, I don't need a Bandit. I have my Studio Pro 110, remember ;). (Which gets far more use than the Trem-o-verb, too…)

• ICBM;135386" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:Edit : did you ever try them in stereo, with lots of distortion and a Les Paul and reverb and delay and chorus and hugeness?

Of course! Actually with a Rickenbacker with the pickups split in "Rick-o-Sound" and a stereo FX processor in the two loops.

:)

Not practical for the sort of gigs I do now though :(.

No, I don't need a Bandit. I have my Studio Pro 110, remember ;). (Which gets far more use than the Trem-o-verb, too…)
    Aww, epic!

Still, that experience would have justified owning it I reckon.

Oh yeah, forgot about that! There was a 40 watt USA silver stripe model for sale in my local shop for 60 quid, and no one was buying it. Basically brand new condition, compared to my new slightly 'used' bandit.

I tried it out and, despite having a smaller speaker (a blue marvel) it sounded really good, very much the same ballpark. No idea why no one wanted it. Even the tolex feels better quality than a lot of modern amps.
    Once upon a time I had a couple of guitar lessons ( hard to believe, I know). The teacher had two Boogies and a rack system providing them with stereo chorus and delay,etc, ( what MK Boogies or the specifics in the rack I don't know) in his living room (well, his mom's living room, he was a musician and therefore no house of his own). To me it was a thing of true awesomeness even at the relatively low volumes we played.

He did gig in two bands and didn't normally use this set up for either as it was far too impractical.But, lush.