Light Guitar Recommendations

What's Hot
I mentioned in another thread how my shoulders are creaking a bit. And while I'm not going to be getting rid of the Les Pauls I did wonder about adding something lighter to my collection.

So how about some suggestions and even pictures of a relatively inexpensive (let's say under £500) guitars that won't break my back.

I wish I'd kept my Yamaha RGX-A2 as that weighed very little.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    What kind of things are you looking for 

Pacificas are fairly light. 

JS1000s are super light and can be had for about £500.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Solidbody. Not particularly after a trem but don't mind if there is one. A mix of humbucker and coils would be good if possible but not essential. I think some kind of very light superstrat would fit the bill.

I could by another Yamaha RGXA2 but that wouldn't feel like exciting GAS.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    Steinberger transcale
  • Why not an SG special? You can get one used for well within your budget (and various new ones from 2013-2014 for there or thereabouts) and the ones I've played have been among the lightest guitars I've ever played.
  • Why not an SG special? You can get one used for well within your budget (and various new ones from 2013-2014 for there or thereabouts) and the ones I've played have been among the lightest guitars I've ever played.
    That's a good call, I love an SG.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited January 2014
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited January 2014
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    My Rg 550, Charvel and Strat arnt particularly heavy.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• What sort of guitar are you after? A semi might do the job. If you're looking for somethign a little off the beaten track look at something like a Godin Radiator. Very cool and extremely light.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    How light are we talking? A good strat or tele can be under 7lbs, and an SG should be similarly light.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    When I saw the thread discussion I thought Yamaha RGX A2. Outside of something boutique or small bodied/ headless you might struggle to find lighter.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    SG would be top of my list.

You can find really light PRS SE Soapbars if you like P90s.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    MJT bodies can be pretty light with Teles and Strats coming in under 7lbs. Used or build one and you could just be on budget.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Air guitar! 

(Really sorry, I couldn't resist. I do genuinely sympathise. 

FWIW my SG is pretty heavy. I remember the Lite Ash Strat/ Tele series being mentioned as a lot lighter than average some years ago, but not sure if they do these anymore). 
  • Skarloey said:
    FWIW my SG is pretty heavy. I remember the Lite Ash Strat/ Tele series being mentioned as a lot lighter than average some years ago, but not sure if they do these anymore). 
    The Lite Ash series (Korean-made for Fender) were really good and definitely lighter than normal. My lite ash Tele was almost neck-heavy. SHould be able to pick them up for £250-£300 these days. Good Seymour Duncan bridge unit in the Tele.
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    I did this a while ago after some fairly serious problems with my shoulders.. Ended up with a Parker Fly.. Yes, it cost me £1200.. But it's 4.5lbs! There's very little else out there anywhere near as light!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    When I had my big back injury, I went to playing an SG instead of the Les Paul... its a different tone, but familar ground and mine is a featherweight.

The other guitar to consider is a Les Paul Special DC - my main gigging guitar is one of these and its even lighter but sounds amazing.

A good Tele should be lightweight too - heavy weight ones never sound 'right' to me (opinion and all that). I now have two lightweight Teles and they are a joy to play.

Finally - don't rule out a chambered Les Paul. Ignore the dullards who will tell you they don't sound good - that's balls. They *do* sound different, but if you like playing notes that cascade into musical feedback with great sustain then I think you'll enjoy one live... my LP Goldtop is a featherweight for a LP - I've never weighed it but its only slightly heavier than my SG. I think it sounds great...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Somebody on here said they were ordering a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker. Can't recall seeing a NGD thread but that looks like a possibility (approx 7 pounds) for a Les Paul player wanting a light guitar? The Andertons review is promising. Less than £500. Maybe just a bit thin sounding? The pickups seem to be based on the very first P90.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSvbYzZ3r0

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    It can be tricky getting a lightweight. My Strat is basswood and is almost as heavy as my mahogany SG. Even my pine Tele is I would say on the heavy side. The lightest guitar I had was a Gordon Smith Gs2 which was very light in the scheme of things.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    2008 LP chambered is a very nice guitar, I prefer it to the solid ones