Strings For An Acoustic With Passive Pickup? - Volume Issues...

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
edited November 2016 in Acoustics
So,

I have a cheap workhorse acoustic - Yamaha F310.
I have fitted an L.R. Baggs M! passive magnetic pickup (bought used on this here forum) which sounds great, and into a passive DI box I get a perfectly useable sound...however, it needs a LOT of level out of the desk and I don't really have the headroom I need - It's not quite loud enough.

I have raised the pole pieces, which as you would imagine has helped.
However, a recent @ICBM thread where he talked about different levels of magnetic attraction to different strings, it got me thinking. I currently have Martin 80/20 Bronze strings on the guitar.
I swapped out one of the wound strings for an Ernie Ball Slinky from a set of electric strings.There is a noticeable hike in volume from that string compared to the others.

So...

Recommendations please on what I need to get for this Yammy to make it sing loud enough through a PA.
I don't want to be buying additional kit , so "get an acoustic amp" is not an option

EDIT: Currently using 13's, so wondered if Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys would do it...? They are, of course, designed for electric (downtuning electric, at that) and I'd prefer a wound G but....are they likely to sound OK on an acoustic?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    DR Zebras. Purpose-designed for acoustic guitar with magnetic pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    made for ‘Electro Acoustics’ !

http://www.drstrings.com/zebra

ah ya beet me to it IC

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oooh super. I did try a Google but you put in things like acoustic and steel strings and you just get a load of steel string acoustic guitars in the results. Cheers chaps, appreciated. :)

• Order placed, will let you know how I get on ;)

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
     I think Martin retro strings are more magnetic than phosphor bronze. I have a set but never tried them. 
    ICBM said:
    DR Zebras. Purpose-designed for acoustic guitar with magnetic pickup 
  • JJW1JJW1 Frets: 6
    I had the same problem with soundhole passive pickups. I bought a Behringer Tube ultrgain preamp and that gives the necessary boost and warmth to the pickup.
  • ICBM said:
    DR Zebras. Purpose-designed for acoustic guitar with magnetic pickups.
    Did the trick, perfect. Thanks @ICBM