Wave Pictures Gig Report

What's Hot
EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
edited November 2016 in Music
'Ello strangers!
A friend of mine took me to a gig last night, at Cambridge's Portland Arms. It's a small venue, and the burgers are good. 

I was there to see The Wave Pictures. No, me neither. But they're excellent. A 3 piece - guitar/vocals, drums, bass. Everyone does a bit of singing. Imagine the White Stripes, but web designers. 

The lyrics are obscure, mundane, narrative, descriptive, poetic - delivered in a style which reminds me (incorrectly, probably) of the Decemberists, or Bright Eyes. There's an obvious love of older guitar music of the 50s and 60s.
The lead singer/guitarist is a fuck-off good player. (Is this a music theory term? Must investigate) 
There's melodic, percussive, dynamic phrasing that's played in that lazy-yet-devilish way that Mark Knopfler has - and all played with a new Fender Duo-Sonic into an old Fender Sidekick Reverb 25 amp with no reverb, pedals or effects to help or hinder. (I get the impression that Fender have been throwing Duo-Sonics at any touring band that stands still long enough recently.)

They're near the beginning of a tour of the UK - have a look here http://www.thewavepictures.com/webpages/homeandnews.htm - so go and check them out if you want a gig to go to in the coming week or three. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Nice one. I heard the album City Forgiveness earlier this year and loved it. It's a beast of a 1.5 hour long double album - really raw, quite bluesy and a solo or two in each song!

He's a great player. His lead playing has the spirit of Neil Young.

They have a new album out today as well. On a quick listen to a couple of tracks it seems a bit more refined to CF.

I'm hoping to catch them on this tour now - thanks for the heads up.

I love this video I think it's their Dad's acting in it!

They've been around for years and have quite a few albums. 

Previously known as stevebrum
  • You best me to it - I was at the same gig in Cambridge and was just thinking I should mention it on theFB ... when I saw your thread.  Anyway your write up was more eloquent than I would have managed :)

As well as agreeing with everything in the OP, I'll say that the guys in this band have an understated and unpretentious charm which makes them a joy to see performing live.  There's no rock star attitude here - just an evident joy to be on stage playing their music.  I found that really infectious, and was smiling all the way home.

I was put onto this band by a friend who's been a big fan for years.  Sadly he got ill and couldn't make the gig. I decided to go anyway on my own and was so glad I did - if they're nearby, you owe it to yourself to pop down and check them out.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Yes!
    I forgot to talk about that. Everything about them is the antithesis of rockstar. They seem happy in their own skins and content (and secure enough) to be ordinary and fun on stage. They have, as yer man above put it, unpretentious charm. 

And that's sort of the last taboo of being a band. I, too, found that, perhaps more than the guitar playing and the music, inspiring and infectious. 

I also came home and bypassed my entire pedalboard. Back-to-basics inspiration FTW!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the review! I just discovered these guys in the 4.52am online mag by @JookyChap last week & found  they had a new lp out Friday and are playing in town next Monday.. So, bought the lp, and going to see them next week!  =) Looking forward to it even more now!  
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    @FRockStar said:
    Thanks for the review! I just discovered these guys in the 4.52am online mag by @JookyChap last week & found  they had a new lp out Friday and are playing in town next Monday.. So, bought the lp, and going to see them next week!  =) Looking forward to it even more now!  
    That's cool - thanks :) I haven't seen them yet, but the album is wicked, so I must get my act together and go..

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Went to see Slaves last night. The complete opposite end of some spectrum or other, but also great fun!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited October 2017
    If anyone is interested 2/3 of The Wave Pictures feature in a band called The Surfing Magazines.

They released an album last month.

https://youtu.be/451BKlZxZm4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BGP6LNRp0A4

Previously known as stevebrum