Definition of "lead guitar"

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 8227
    edited January 2014
    mike_l said:
    In most bands it's a totally meaningless term unless you get a band like Oasis where one of the guitarists could barely play. 

To correct you, Bonehead was/is an awesomes guitarist, Gallagher would only let him play barre chords....(IIRC)
    I've never heard that before and I was quite a big Oasis fan back in the day. 
    Gem always played a lot more than Bonehead so I'm not sure the "not allowed" argument stacks up.
    Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5671
    mike_l said:
    In most bands it's a totally meaningless term unless you get a band like Oasis where one of the guitarists could barely play. 

To correct you, Bonehead was/is an awesomes guitarist, Gallagher would only let him play barre chords....(IIRC)
    I've never heard that before and I was quite a big Oasis fan back in the day. 
    Gem always played a lot more than Bonehead so I'm not sure the "not allowed" argument stacks up.
    IIRC it was in either Guitarist or Guitar and bass that Gallagher was the "lead guitarist" and the other guitarist was only allowed to play barre chords. Basically so no one else could show him up.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 11434
    Grunfeld said:
    Lead guitarist gets the girls I think.
    That sentence need rearranging .......Lead guitarist thinks he gets the girls.

Girls are only interested in the guitarist if he looks hot. The singer gets the girls.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 11434
    mike_l said:

er ..... I think he was referring to Noel.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8390
    edited January 2014

With the bands I like, lead guitar has a thinner, more brittle, high mids-trebly sound, rhythm guitar has a fatter, darker sound.  Although they both might play lead equally and they might be interchangeable, it is when you combine the two with a bass you get godliness.  Any other combination of tone usually results in a garbled mess of diatribe that doesn't translate well to my ears.

Also with a setup like this, it's often why you struggle to hear one guitarist as he solos, especially outdoors, where as the other cuts above the mix, even when the volumes are similar.

So, solos aside and completely irrelevant, that is how I'd describe rhythm guitar, as a frequency in the spectrum, somewhere between the bass and lead, doing it's job pushing out the heaviness.  Lead guitar would be the brightest tone of the spectrum.

Also lead is more melody orientated, where as rhythm is more hooked in with the bass and the driving progression of the beat.

It's the Playbus. We're not in control of ourselves. You're only as dumb as you're trained
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1117
    edited January 2014
    Grunfeld said:    Lead guitarist gets the girls I think.
    axisus said:   That sentence need rearranging .......Lead guitarist thinks he gets the girls.
    Girls are only interested in the guitarist if he looks hot. The singer gets the girls.
    A  true-ism, well put axis.

The clash of ego - it's along the same lines as the old one about the difference between a BMW driver and a Mercedes driver.

The lead guitarist *thinks* he's the best and hottest in the band

Where as the singer *knows* he's the best and hottest in the band

(Substitute "owns the road" for the car analogy)

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 801
    edited January 2014
    It seems these are terms are more relevant to music from the 50s and early 60s. You'd see many bands where there would be on obvious star guitarist who would play all the leads and others who would strum out of the limelight. It wouldn't just be about the music they played, but their prominance on stage. 

This kind of thing coloured my view of guitar playing in my youth to the point where I believed being a rhythm guitarist must be some kind of apprenticeship that once passed enabled the player to learn lead. This stupid idea was still in my head when I first started playing guitar age 16 until after a few months I saw footage of Iron Maiden live and it was like a lightbulb going ping above my head.

There are still bands with a more obvious rhythm/lead split - Metallica seems quite an obvious one, despite Hammett's shiity soloing.  

axisus said:
    mike_l said:

er ..... I think he was referring to Noel.
    ok my mistake
    :-$

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 33959
    Easy mistake to make. It's quite hard to tell which of them can barely play the most ;).
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 5998
    is the one with the smallest dick usually....

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• BucketBucket Frets: 7609
    axisus said:
    Grunfeld said:
    Lead guitarist gets the girls I think.
    That sentence need rearranging .......Lead guitarist thinks he gets the girls.

Girls are only interested in the guitarist if he looks hot.
    Oh... bugger. :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Bucket said:
    Girls are only interested in the guitarist if he looks hot.
    Oh... bugger. :D
    Only the really dirty girls......... (think about it........)
    :-O >:)

• martinwmartinw Frets: 1944
    It's musical terminology.