Revox G36 MKIII 1/2 track.

What's Hot
Has anyone used one of these for recording? I have one and it just gets used for music playback and recording vinyl etc, I have an electric guitar arriving in a few days (playing acoustic for the last 15 years) and was wondering if anyone here was familiar with recording onto a Revox G36.
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I haven't used that particular model but I used to have a Revox A77 back in the day. Used for mixing down on to. To record guitar you would need a preamp of some kind, or mic up an amp (might as well keep it old school...) so a small mixer would be useful. I take it you are already familiar with cleaning the heads and demagnetising? And have a good supply of tape?
    To be honest, unless there are artistic reasons for using tape, I would just use laptop/tablet/mobile phone or something digital. It's so much easier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    I just like the sound of this thing. I have a lot of AFGA PE31 which the machine is set up for. It's got a lovely tube sound and for a sixty year old machine it does sound really nice. I'll try a mic and see how I get on. I k pw that modern line in is too hot for it, a cd player for instance, but I wasn't sure about a guitar amp.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    I used to use a reel to reel as a delay unit by feeding the output into the input (phono). The repeat time was fixed but the delay sound was one of the best I've heard.
    Can you use the line out from an amp straight into a G36? Is the line out on a Vox Cambridge 30 effected by the volume knob on the amp or is it a fixed level?
    I don't want to blow my G36 up.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    You won't blow anything up by feeding it a line-level input. The worst that could happen is that you get too hot a level on tape and it doesn't sound very good.

Don't feed it the speaker output though!
    I'll give it a whirl then, Things like a modern line level from say a CD player is too hot for the G36, it does work but the record levels have to be kept way down, I was thinking maybe a guitar amp might be too much for it.