Coil split using Tele 3 way blade switch

paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
edited November 2016 in Making & Modding
All my Strats are 3 pickup wired through a 3 way Tele blade switch to give neck, neck and middle and bridge, with the second tone working on the bridge, so I get the in between sound on the front two and the bridge is totally separate, with it's own tone pot....

I am putting together a Strat partscaster based on the Coodercaster, with a replica lap steel pickup and a lil 59 humbucker at the "neck" position....
Using my usual Strat wiring diagram (below) can I wire one coil of the humbucker as if it were the neck pickup and the second coil as if it were the middle pickup, so that with the switch in the neck position I would get one coil and in the middle position it would be both coils in humbucker mode?

Bridge pickup would remain separate from the others......

Thanks Folks!

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/paulnb57/image_zpsyqieeci1.jpeg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Yes, although you will then have the two coils in parallel not series, so it will sound quite different from a normal humbucker - it will be brighter and lower-output, although that may suit what you want to do very well, since otherwise the middle position would probably be much louder and thicker than either the 'neck' or 'bridge' positions.

If you want to do that, use the green and white wires as the grounds, and the red and black as the two hots - I'm not sure which way round they are, but if you get the wrong coil in the 'neck' position, just swap red and black.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    Thanks, much appreciated,
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll