Anyone tried solid state valves yet?

What's Hot
ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
Anyone had a set of the AMT solid state 12ax7s yet? I've seen they are doing some power valves too. I know jet city did so a while back but I've never tried them, what's the overall opinion of them? If they are 95% there and priced correctly I'd be very tempted.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Out of interest, would solid state trying to mimic valves be that much better that modellers?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Not fr the pint of view of being any easier on the back...

They might not be too bad, good set of curves on the specs. Although a mullard EL34 is the same spec as a JJ and they don't sound the same...
  • I'm trying to think of an equivalent - alcohol-free lager, with a shot of vodka in it? No, that's the wrong way up...

A Ferrari with an electric motor?

A real cigarette, with the tobacco replaced by an electronic ciggy?

• ddlooping said:
    Out of interest, would solid state trying to mimic valves be that much better that modellers?
    I'd assume so as they aren't modelling valves, merely offering a different method of construction. They are still solid state rather than digital aren't they?

Also valves are just one part of a signal chain. So you've still got the rest of the amp which contributes to the tone.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    I think the real advantage will be for those of us that don't mind solid state amps, but don't like the fact that they are made with shoddy components because people don't consider their to be a market for a high end SS amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • In our lifetime we are likely to see the end of valve production, so we'll have to get used to these things. They are flipping expensive right now though.

• I'll admit to being blinkered and old fashioned, bigoted, and set in my ways. If it's not a proper valve, take it away, I don't want it!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Do they have a massive lifespan?
    If so they might be worth it in the long run.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    They could certainly be useful to have as a backup if you blow a valve at a gig.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I am sort of interested in these, but at the same time if I can't have proper valves, I am way more likely to just go modelling. The sound being equal, I'd much rather not have to carry around a massive valve amp with two or more great whacking transformers.

I think on the face of it the Blackstar ID series is the better direction to go in to replace valves.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10384
    tFB Trader
    Sounds like having an inflatable woman that still uses your credit cards .... :(
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    I am sort of interested in these, but at the same time if I can't have proper valves, I am way more likely to just go modelling. The sound being equal, I'd much rather not have to carry around a massive valve amp with two or more great whacking transformers.

I think on the face of it the Blackstar ID series is the better direction to go in to replace valves.
    Isn't the ID series using any real valves?
    ddlooping said:
    Drew_fx said:

Nah boss. It's all digital. But they've modelled power tubes and the way that valve amps load the speaker - AFAIK. They're supposed to sound quite good, but I haven't tried one yet.
    ddlooping said:
    Drew_fx said:
     Nah boss. It's all digital. But they've modeled power tubes and the way that valve amps load the speaker - AFAIK. They're supposed to sound quite good, but I haven't tried one yet.
     So, in a nutshell, they are solid state amps with build-in modelers (with some extra wizardry).
    I guess it can be more convenient to have everything in one box.
    Hmmm.. effectively. But I tend to separate modelling from solid state - ie... it's not using any opamps or IC's for the distortion; I believe. It takes your guitar signal, converts it to digital, and processes it entirely in the digital domain - AFAIK.

So it's closer to a Pod than a solid state circuit.
    A kinda cut-down HD500 inside a power-amp/cab.
    Not having compared the two and for its versatility I think I'd rather have the above.
  • I think @ICBM spent some time with a BS ID.

The only time I've used modellers at a gig was my pocket pod when my main amp died. I ran my pedalboard into as if it was a real amp and lined out to the PA. I have to admit, I was amazed at how good it sounded. I used the same patch I use through headphones and didn't have time to mess about so I'm sure I could get it sounding better if I spent some time with it.

The biggest issue for me though is we only use the PA for vocals and don't use monitors so I couldn't hear it as well as I'd liked. The punters didn't even notice!

I can see SS valves becoming popular as real valves become rarer/more expensive. I imagine a lot of guitarists will want to keep using their favourite valve amps instead of changing amps completely. 

I can see SS valves becoming popular as real valves become rarer/more expensive. I imagine a lot of guitarists will want to keep using their favourite valve amps instead of changing amps completely. 

Very good point, Ronnie. :)
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    ddlooping;12016" said:
    Longtallronnie said:

Very good point, Ronnie. :)

Or stick them in there practice or spare amps and save the valves for their main amp