Anyone tried solid state valves yet?

What's Hot

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    jaygtr said:
    Slightly off topic, but do valves deteriorate over time if left unused in a box in good conditions , or will 50 year old unused valves be as good now as back then?

Good point. The key issue is vacuum, or leakage, but also there might be some decomposition of materials within the envelope. No vacuum is perfect, and nothing is 100% leak tight, so it might be that the normal deterioration of materials is slowed down, but not halted.

I've got 50 year old valves that still work fine, but I don't know how they compare to how they were new. There's no way to measure how much vacuum they've lost, so the rate is unknown.

They might last another 50 years, who knows? Maybe the rate of deterioration is so slow, they'll last for several hundred years? Vacuum is an amazing thing when it comes to preservation. (That's backwards, I know!)

Wouldn't it be funny if valves turn out to outlast semiconductor devices? :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They would in case of a nuclear war
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    So is now the time to start storing some valves for future use perhaps, before they become stupidly expensive ?
  • jaygtr;12754" said:
    So is now the time to start storing some valves for future use perhaps, before they become stupidly expensive ?
    Nah, that was the early 90s when people were genuinely convinced they were on their way out. Probably happened in the 80s too, but that's before my time sadly! My dad saw music shops throwing valves in skips, though.
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Another interesting Retro Channel product, a power amp...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    martinw said:

Good point. The key issue is vacuum, or leakage, but also there might be some decomposition of materials within the envelope. No vacuum is perfect, and nothing is 100% leak tight, so it might be that the normal deterioration of materials is slowed down, but not halted.

I've got 50 year old valves that still work fine, but I don't know how they compare to how they were new. There's no way to measure how much vacuum they've lost, so the rate is unknown.

They might last another 50 years, who knows? Maybe the rate of deterioration is so slow, they'll last for several hundred years? Vacuum is an amazing thing when it comes to preservation. (That's backwards, I know!)

Wouldn't it be funny if valves turn out to outlast semiconductor devices? :D

The vacuum should remain as good as new for as long as there's any getter metal left, surely?

So the life expectancy in storage is really the length of time it takes for the getter to be completely used up, or the percentage of it left relative to new, depending on how you look at it.

Have you come across old MOSFETs just failing for no apparent reason? - not shorted, just don't conduct any more. I seem to have, although I can't say how they might have been abused.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That sounds really good - or perhaps I hope it does without all that reverb and delay.

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Kind of can't help but think if there's a couple of toroidal transformers in there it'll be so heavy I might as well carry a valve amp. Nice idea, need to try one though....
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    Kind of can't help but think if there's a couple of toroidal transformers in there it'll be so heavy I might as well carry a valve amp. Nice idea, need to try one though....
    Not at all - toroidal transformers are usually lighter than the big hulking bits of metal you get in most valve amps. I had an R&R SOLO amp (basically a two-channel 50W SLO-alike in a 1U chassis) and it weighed a whole 4kg. Sounded ace, too...part of me wishes I hadn't sold it, actually....
    <space for hire>
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited August 2013
    22 pounds (~10Kg) :)
    http://www.retro-channel.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PA1
    Granted if its only developing 50w - I've carried too many big PA amps....

Toroidal transformers aren't that much lighter than decent EI trannys with M-6 lams when you factor in how many solid state watts you need to compete with the perceived power of 100w of valve power into a 16ohm cab.
    edited August 2013
    Granted if its only developing 50w - I've carried too many big PA amps....

Toroidal transformers aren't that much lighter than decent EI trannys with M-6 lams when you factor in how many solid state watts you need to compete with the perceived power of 100w of valve power into a 16ohm cab.
    I'm pretty sure that the whole "solid state amps need more power to generate the same volume as a valve amp" thing is largely to do with the fact that generally solid state amps are built to a cost and are therefore direct-coupled. A well-designed solid state amp using output transformers would likely generate as much volume as a valve amp.

At least, that's what I've read...
    <space for hire>
    edited August 2013

I'm pretty sure that the whole "solid state amps need more power to generate the same volume as a valve amp" thing is largely to do with the fact that generally solid state amps are built to a cost and are therefore direct-coupled. A well-designed solid state amp using output transformers would likely generate as much volume as a valve amp.

At least, that's what I've read...
    No, there's quite a lot more to it than that. The transformer is a factor in the sound and possibly a little in the perceived volume, but you can't make a solid-state amp as loud as a valve one just by using an output transformer.

There are a lot of different factors involved, and some are very hard to duplicate with solid-state.

In fact, it will be interesting to see whether a valve amp with solid-state plug-ins is as loud as the same amp with real valves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    The vacuum should remain as good as new for as long as there's any getter metal left, surely?

So the life expectancy in storage is really the length of time it takes for the getter to be completely used up, or the percentage of it left relative to new, depending on how you look at it.

Yes, seems fair. The getter material is only designed to mop up reactive gases that desorb from the envelope walls after the valve is sealed. My feeling, having worked with getter pumps, is that a small mount of flashed getter won't cope with much leakage of air in that way. Most valves would seem to have excellent vacuum...I think any with much in the way of a leak would soon saturate the getter.
    ICBM said:
    Have you come across old MOSFETs just failing for no apparent reason? - not shorted, just don't conduct any more. I seem to have, although I can't say how they might have been abused.
    I can't say I have, although I read an article years ago about decomposition of SS devices at the junctions, so it's possible there might be a lifespan on these things. :)
    edited August 2013
    ICBM said:
    No, there's quite a lot more to it than that. The transformer is a factor in the sound and possibly a little in the perceived volume, but you can't make a solid-state amp as loud as a valve one just by using an output transformer.

There are a lot of different factors involved, and some are very hard to duplicate with solid-state.

In fact, it will be interesting to see whether a valve amp with solid-state plug-ins is as loud as the same amp with real valves.
    Well, I presumed it wouldn't be quite that simple ;) Hence the "well-designed" bit...however, what I've read does seem to indicate that transformer-based coupling is more efficient than direct-coupling when used with a reactive load like a normal speaker. Does that seem accurate to you?
    <space for hire>
    It's not more efficient, no - in fact it's less efficient since there are losses through the transformer. But it does change the damping factor, which is one of the components in perceived volume vs actual measured power output.

Still, fitting a solid-state amp with an OT - there are a few - doesn't do as much as you might think. It is part of the answer, but not the majority of it.

ddlooping;12860" said:
    Well @digitalscream I may well stand corrected. I'd like to try one against the Matrix I've got in the AxeFX rig. The main thing I like about the Matrix is size and weight, tone wise I'm not quite sure yet
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    edited September 2013
    ragingben said:
    AMT valves available now - 12ax7's for $40 USD each, in quantities of 4.

http://eshop.amtelectronics.com/accessories/12ax7ws-warmstone-12ax7-tubes-solid-state-equivalents.html

Good to see the specs - that ratings are actually about 50% higher than those of a real 12AX7. Particularly good to see they've thought about the critical one in some amps - the cathode-to-heater voltage rating, which is 250V for a 12AX7, but some (particularly Russian) valves fail to meet it properly which can cause trouble.

ragingben said:
    30th of September before they're available through Thomann by the look of it.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    They look cool.