Bit of 2x12 Cab fettling

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
edited November 2016 in Making & Modding
So a little while back I popped up a WTB ad for a 2x12. Mostly to use in the music room at home - where we keep the missus Drum Kit. I managed to pick up an old but solid one from @nickb_boy (super chap - and a pleasure to deal with!)

Here's Nick's original photo from my WTB thread:

Bit tatty, and well loved, but flippin' solid tho. Decided to strip it and treat it to new hardware, new wiring, new tolex and new cloth. 

It's got two 1978 Rola Celestion G12-75's in it. Now, I know that many think they are somewhat brittle, but these chaps are well and truly worked in. One had a teeny rip in it, which has now been patched with a touch of tea bag material (instead of coffee filter!). And they do sound nice and broken in!

Got it stripped down and removed all hardware. Sanded old tolex glue off and filled in the holes and knocks, and gave the black a nice new coat:

Replaced the Tee Nuts and Bolts, then popped on some new handles, feet and rewired with a twin-4 pole switching circuit kindly described by @ICBM. It means I've got 4 and 16 ohm inputs. All wired and in, and speakers back in for a try with an old Vox Night Train I had lying around:

Well, I've never heard a Night Train sound like it does through this cab. It's quite big for a 2x12 (!) and it's 18mm ply - so it weighs about the same as a small caravan, but it sounds pretty immense. Will be good to try it with some slightly more 'respected' heads ;)

Next up - Tolex and Cloth. Just waiting on them to be delivered then I shall be slapping it on. Will post a pic when it's done.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    That looks great,

Vertical 2x12"s are a much overlooked format, but they sound really good usually - surprisingly, you get better dispersion than from a horizontal one as well as taking up less stage space.

Those old 75s are good speakers too - quite different from modern G12T-75s. The brittle top-end is largely from the metal centre domes - it's possible to replace those if you're careful, or stick cloth ones over the top. Although it would take away some of that 70s vibe it has :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited November 2016
    Thanks @ICBM ;

I agree about vertical 2x12s - really liking how much volume you get for the footprint! I've learned a few things doing this:

- After reading the cab thread over in Amps, I have to agree with the sentiments about ply vs MDF etc. This thing is proper bomb proof, and really whacks the sound out
    - I was going to add the Night Train as the worst amp I'd used. I've now changed my mind. The Night Train CAB is the worst I've used. With a good cab, it's actually a handy little amp!
    - The G12/75s are definitely more retro 70s than I expected - and nothing like I imagined, and more importantly nothing like G12T-75s you get today...

Tolex and Cloth arrived via postie today - so going to slap them on later on and will share the result!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    ICBM said:
    That looks great,

Vertical 2x12"s are a much overlooked format, but they sound really good usually - surprisingly, you get better dispersion than from a horizontal one as well as taking up less stage space.

That's why my Marshall 1936 (yes, I know, but it works for me...) now has four rubber feet screwed to one end of it. It looks a bit odd but sounds about 500 times better on its end than it does on the floor.

My theory is:

A) With the drivers stacked vertically it's acting as a line source, hence better dispersion.

and

B) With one speaker down low so it can couple to the floor and one higher up closer to ear height the overall effect is much closer to a 4x12 with both a decent amount of low end thump and the top end actually reaching your (and the audiences) ears rather than being concentrated at trouser leg height and absorbed...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, Tolex and Cloth arrived. 

Went for a rather trad 70's look to stay in keeping with the general vibe.

All done this evening and looking quite fine in its new home.. It's not the best tolexing job in the world - but it's good enough for the intended purpose. Thanks to @nickb_boy for a smashing cab, and @ICBM for the wiring help.. Lovely.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    Looks great. Good job ;)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Thats lovely.

Well done, chap.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• derndern Frets: 357
    edited November 2016
    Looks great.

Love the sound of my vertical 2x12...

Very useful in terms of not taking up too much space too...

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Glad it's gone to a decent home and been put to good use.  That cab is built like a tank and deserved the upgrade.  Really liked seeing the progress, what a great transformation!!
    Hope you enjoy

nickb_boy said:
    Glad it's gone to a decent home and been put to good use.  That cab is built like a tank and deserved the upgrade.  Really liked seeing the progress, what a great transformation!!
    Hope you enjoy

Thanks mate - it's a corker!