That's it - I'm settled on strings....

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4205
One of my hobbies/follies over the last year has been experimenting with different strings on my main gigging acoustics (Collings D1A dreadnought, a Collings OM2H and a J45 True Vintage). I change strings often (nearly always use a fresh-but-played-in set for each gig) and I'm a big believer that there's a prefect match of strings and pick for each guitar.

The experimentation has incorporated (from memory):

Elixir PB HD Lights
DR Sunbeams
DR Rare
D'addario EJ (16s, 17s, 19s and 24s)
D'addario Nickle Bronze
Martin Retro (Tony Rice & Laurence Juber sets)
Thomastik 
Pyramid Folk
Martin PB Light-Medium (12.5 to 55.5)

There have probably been a couple of others too. The results are......drum roll.......

D1A: DR Sunbeams (13-56)
OM2H: DR Sunbeams (12-54)
J45TV: EJ17 (13-56 tuned in either Open G or Open D)

Now if you see me posting about different strings again, restrain me!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• you really should try some Newtones !!!!! mike b.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    you really should try some Newtones !!!!! mike b.
    +1

Ah - ‘the strings the strings’ - said in the same manor as ‘the bells the bells’.
    It’s an aspect of the ’acoustic players life’ that can drive some people to distraction, e.g. as witnessed over on the AGF. Very Vintage very Retro very Modal - in fact there ought to do a DADGAD Folk Robots animation on the subject of STRINGS.
    viz.

In that spirit I’ll just say - “I don’t like the sound of Zinc”
    (that is, strings with Zinc in them, invariably such strings are made for production cost / longevity reasons and NOT for sonic superiority).
    I use DR Rares and Newtone Masterclass and have for decades - 13-56 always in ’tuning's’ but not DADGAD :o - Zep and Keltic stuff was last century !.
    I get 1 to 2 years outa a set - no kidding.
    Yeah Lewy, some strings suite certain guitars and some don’t but a lot depends on the listener / player preference also.
    As for the current hyping up off Very Retro, Very Modal - Monel strings, coming from using Black Diamond and Cathedral all steel (core and wrap) in the ’60’s and how quickly and badly they corroded and deteriorated not to mention how they sounded - the introduction of Monel alloy strings was an improvement, I remember buying Gibson MonaSteel for my acoustic. When they introduced Phosphorus / Bronze strings (from the piano   string industry) we made the shift to them - because they sounded better - but didn’t last as long as the corrosion resistant Monel strings.

Anyhow - what has become clear to me over the years - is, like guitars or anything else, It’s what they’re made off and how they’re made that defines the quality of a product.

• Newtone and John Pearse are worth a go. You've still got sets to try, don't give up now!
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    What would you say is the best string for avoiding tinny, jangliness?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4205
    edited November 2016
    Newtone and John Pearse are worth a go. You've still got sets to try, don't give up now!
    Ah yes, forgot Pearse. Tried them too - PB Mediums

I have experience of old on Newtones
    from when I was heavily into resos.  Not
    tried them on flat top though.

Bugger.
  • I should try those sunbeams. Daddario's are standard but I am enjoying the tension of the Newtone set that's currently on. 

Winny 'n all, if u like /  require a reduced tension pls bare in mind that DR Rares are 'Lower Tension' due to their thinner core wire (obviously on the wound strings) - they still say this on their site but stopped broadcasting it as folks get VERY confused already 'bout all things 'strings' - gauges / tensions / and light, medium / heavy classification.
    And the Sunbeams are (I think) normal tension but feel easy to play courtesy of their round core. 
    Lewy said:
    And the Sunbeams are (I think) normal tension but feel easy to play courtesy of their round core. 
    yeah,Lewy, norm tension but as they say on their site "Additionally they are very flexible" which is one of the (many) things folks get confused with - confusing flexibility and tension. Well made round core strings are generally (slightly ) easier on the fingers.
    Whereas 'Rares' are like dropping a gauge, on the 'wounds'.

• @Lewy ; When do you make your comparison/decision for each set?  Do you play them in at the same place or can you still tell the difference at gigs, even though the venue or background noise (people yapping) might be different in each venue?
    @Lewy ; When do you make your comparison/decision for each set?  Do you play them in at the same place or can you still tell the difference at gigs, even though the venue or background noise (people yapping) might be different in each venue?
    Mostly experiment at home/practice and then if something's got potential, it gets tried out at a gig - I'm like that with any kit. 

With these string comparisons, I haven't been scientific enough for different environments to have too much influence. It's been as much about feel as it has timbre and that doesn't change with venue/crowd noise etc. 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Curt Mangan you haven't tried Curt Mangan 
    jellyroll said:
    I'd avoid anything made from 80/20 Bronze - I used to use them on a very bass-heavy Martin I used to have but find them too bright and spiky for how I play on anything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lewy said:
    jellyroll said:
    I'd avoid anything made from 80/20 Bronze - I used to use them on a very bass-heavy Martin I used to have but find them too bright and spiky for how I play on anything else.
    Thanks mate
    jellyroll said:
    Mr Jelly, the most 'mellow' strings I've used are
    Thomastik-Infeld Thomastik Spectrum Bronze
    possibly the finest strings made (for acoustic guitar).
    They have a layer of silk between the wrap and core and it 'filters' out the clankiness of the metal to metal.
    Other than that they use the highest quality materials and construction I've seen in a string.
    Oh - theyre expensive - if u look around u can get them for around 12-13 quid, if u dont 'kill' strings - worth a try.
    Lastly - they'll make a 'poor' guitar sound even worse !.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    AliGorie said:
    jellyroll said:
    Mr Jelly, the most 'mellow' strings I've used are
    Thomastik-Infeld Thomastik Spectrum Bronze
    possibly the finest strings made (for acoustic guitar).
    They have a layer of silk between the wrap and core and it 'filters' out the clankiness of the metal to metal.
    Other than that they use the highest quality materials and construction I've seen in a string.
    Oh - theyre expensive - if u look around u can get them for around 12-13 quid, if u dont 'kill' strings - worth a try.
    Lastly - they'll make a 'poor' guitar sound even worse !.

Thanks Ali, will give 'em a go.
    Did I say DR Sunbeams? I meant Newtone Masterclass.

It's a disease. I have a disease.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    Lewy said:
    Did I say DR Sunbeams? I meant Newtone Masterclass.

It's a disease. I have a disease.
    haha - oh dear :-) 
    Red ones are better.