Help me find the best Lester!

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    =))
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    Why not plump for 12 months interest free .... http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/finance.aspx
    Like cars, buying a new guitar just doesn't make any financial sense.
    I think you'll find it covers second hand ... it does in my local store for higher value items like Gibson guitars [which hold their value].

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Fretwired said:
    Why not plump for 12 months interest free .... http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/finance.aspx

Maybe not, but being able to spread the payments can make it much easier for someone to buy an expensive guitar. I've got a finance deal going with Andertons right now on a Gibson, there's no way I could have afforded it out right, and I really doubt I would have been able to save up the cash (would have been too tempted to buy pedals or something as soon as I got passed a few hundred quid) but I can easily afford the monthly payments. It's a keeper so I'm not bothered loosing anything through depreciation, and personally I like have a nice new guitar!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    Nice R8 in the classifieds... :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Here is the thing.
    The Historic Gibson Les Pauls are really nice guitars, and underneath the paint, the "cheap" ones are the same guitar as the ones that cost £5k. So a second hand R7 or R8 is a great guitar for er.......reasonable money. It is possible that I am the person that first mentioned the mythical £1500 R7 but nobody can be sure who it was. But lets not be too optimistic. I still think 1600 is do-able and that is how much I sold my totally mint R8 for.
    So my advice would be - don't buy a £1200 USA Les Paul Standard. Wait until you have the extra 400.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    Richardj said:
    If you want my advice buy yourself a prs custom 22 or mcarthy,
    No offence, but I'd rather slam my dick in a door. There's just something about PRS that makes me cringe myself inside out.

Maybe it's the excellent build quality by staff who appear interested in what they are doing, the factory backup, and that there seem very few instruments that leave the factory with terrible finishing or other quality issues that make them so terrible.  I'm no PRS fanboy, I've had a few and they have all been very good.  I am currently on my fifth Gibson and have three in the house at the moment and I like 'em.  Any realist however will acknowledge that Gibson have work to do to achieve the consistent quality of makers like PRS. 

Lixarto said:
    Nah, it's the shit headstock, awful looking woods and silly bird inlays.
    That's kind of right. To me, PRS just isn't cool. And whenever anyone tells me I should really consider a PRS, they point me straight to a model with specs lifted off a decent Lester. I'm like, nah...
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    I think you'll find it covers second hand ... it does in my local store for higher value items like Gibson guitars [which hold their value].
    It does? Wow, that's actually seriously cool, for some reason I thought it didn't. Cheers for the heads up! Now I'm wondering how good my credit is...
    Fretwired said:

Maybe not, but being able to spread the payments can make it much easier for someone to buy an expensive guitar. I've got a finance deal going with Andertons right now on a Gibson, there's no way I could have afforded it out right, and I really doubt I would have been able to save up the cash (would have been too tempted to buy pedals or something as soon as I got passed a few hundred quid) but I can easily afford the monthly payments. It's a keeper so I'm not bothered loosing anything through depreciation, and personally I like have a nice new guitar!
    I completely know what you mean. I have a guy I've asked to keep tabs on me so I don't do something stupid with the money I'm saving before I've got enough for what I want. It's happened more than once in the past, I get to that £350-£450 stage and I go "Hmmm, I wonder what Mex Teles there are on the 'Bay..."
    Nice R8 in the classifieds... :)
    The guy I'm talking about just above has an R8, and he's the other guitar player in my band. Ergo I can't get an R8 (I know that sounds ridiculous, butt I'm sure you all get what I mean).
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    Skipped said:
    Here is the thing.
    The Historic Gibson Les Pauls are really nice guitars, and underneath the paint, the "cheap" ones are the same guitar as the ones that cost £5k. So a second hand R7 or R8 is a great guitar for er.......reasonable money. It is possible that I am the person that first mentioned the mythical £1500 R7 but nobody can be sure who it was. But lets not be too optimistic. I still think 1600 is do-able and that is how much I sold my totally mint R8 for.
    So my advice would be - don't buy a £1200 USA Les Paul Standard. Wait until you have the extra 400.

That's good advice. I really do want an R7. I played one at a few gigs maybe three years ago and I loved it. I have seen them go for between 1600 and 1800, I reckon it's doable. Just a few more months....
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Just had a look at Hartnoll's. Ooosha, some nice 2013 spec R's. Lovely mahogany topped R7 GT too. The 0% is a decent option, but my, the actual price of the things new.....

If I were single with no childen.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    Be patient and save for a historic, they're in a different league when you find a good one ( this part is important, they're not all good )

Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Two R8s in the band would be twice as nice IMHO...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    koss59 said:
    Be patient and save for a historic, they're in a different league when you find a good one ( this part is important, they're not all good )

This is very true.  The R8 I have now is definitely better than the previous Historic I had.

I think the Standards from about 2002 to 2006 have a good reputation.  The Gary Moore signature from around 2002 was meant to be very good but they might be getting a bit pricey.
    The GM's look a bit 'off' with that spec but no binding IMO.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    There are some earlier guitars now known as 'pre-historics' that get a good press and are often reasonably priced compared to actual branded 'historics'. R57,58 or 59 is fine but the actual example makes all the difference.
    As ever with Gibson, an in hand appraisal is the way forward.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Lixarto said:
    Nah, it's the shit headstock, awful looking woods and silly bird inlays.

All of which I agree with in spite of the fact that I actually own two PRS guitars, an SE Singlecut Soapbar and a Mira, (both of which actually come under the broad heading of "a PRS for people who wouldn't be seen dead with a PRS" as they're resolutely free of overblown figuring and bird inlays).

This makes it incredibly annoying that Eldest Son's SC245 complete with it's "10" top, and birds is by some considerable margin the nicest "Les Paul" I've ever played... 

Incidentally I don't know whether they'd work as well on a Gibson as they do on Matt's guitar but the Suhr Aldritch pickups fitted by a previous owner are absolute sensational, not at all the over the top R-A-W-K monsters you might expect...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2014
    Deleted...;-)
    The best Les Paul us currently in the classifieds as a Gil Yaron. Prob need to sell yer car tho. :(
    jd0272 said:
    The best Les Paul us currently in the classifieds as a Gil Yaron. Prob need to sell yer car tho. :(
    It's not actually a 'real' Les Paul though is it!  ;)
    fretfinder;138436" said:
    jd0272 said:

It's a tool that will more than likely do the job way and above whatever rolls off of Gibson's production line. You a name slave like? ;)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    jd0272 said:
    Goofy headstock though, you can buy 17 similar Epiphones for that. ;)
    jd0272 said:
    jd0272 said:

fretfinder;138436" said:

It's a tool that will more than likely do the job way and above whatever rolls off of Gibson's production line. You a name slave like? ;)
    I'm no-one's slave mate, but to me a Gibson Les Paul is, er, a Gibson Les Paul. I've been through many LPs over the years and the good ones that I've kept are great tools and capable of doing the job way above my needs. 

And if I had £5,700 to spare I'd rather buy a brand new R9, with the upgraded 'correct' features, plus have a holiday on top, than get one of those custom build LPs - although I will be utterly gobsmacked if one of them sells at that ludicrous asking price.