Superlight T/C

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
edited November 2016 in Made in the UK tFB Trader

If any of you subscribe the Stew Mac newsletters, you would have seen some time ago they were advertising very light T/C’s made from Obeche. This is not a wood that I have come across before but, having received several emails asking if I could make T/C’s and Strat’s bodies from Obeche, I made several phone calls to wood suppliers and eventually found one who could supply Obeche thick enough to make it guitar bodies from. I eventually found one, but they are down the West Country some six or seven hours drive away, too far to go have a look at it, so I ordered sufficient for 4 bodies. I’ve just completed the first T/C, it only weighs 3 lb 3 oz’s. The amazing thing about this wood when you tap it, it has a real ring to it, which you would normally only get from heavy South American mahogany. I will make a Strat next week hopefully, I’m almost sure it too will only weigh just over 3 lb.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    edited November 2016

most will be surprised to see obeche as a pale lightweight wood given  gibsons use of it as a dark fretboard wood in recent years

Shergolds were made from it, PRS have used it too on some low end models.   Probably seen as a budget option, but I quite like it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    I like it, in a chopping board kinda' way :)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Very nice.
    At only 3lb might neck dive be an issue?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    Not if you fit a lead pickup ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    I very much doubt if it will be neck heavy, as most thinline and F hole T/C's are about 3 lb.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I remember using Obeche for spars in model aeroplanes when I was a teenager. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Look great to me!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.