Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favourite alt tuning?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Is this an alt. tuning?  I dunno...
    Norm at Stingbusters sold me the wrong capo.*
    He said he was gonna put it right but the lying hound got distracted...
    Just as well, because in the meantime I've got to have a lot of fun with this thing.

I don't know what the tunings are called.  But the capo block your 2, 3, 4 strings.  It's up to you where you slide it.

* NPCP "Silver - Slightly Curved - works on inner 3 strings only Fits 6 string guitars"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Grun, if u'r changing the pitch interval relationship between the strings (from 'standard) too an alternative (different) one by means of a turning a machine head or by a 'partial capo'  then the tuning system is alternative :#
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    DADDAD 
    I really like the flabbiness with the G string sooooo low
    You're the only other person I've heard of using this. The one I use normally is EBEEBE, but on my 12-string which is tuned down a tone that becomes DADDAD. Sounds amazing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    I use DADGAD, which fortunately can be used  by non-folk-robots ;-) for other purposes, like any tuning. I have an acoustic and a strat set up with this with dedicated gauges

I like  the rain song tuning, I've set up a wide neck acoustic to better allow open strings to ring out when doing shapes near teh 12th fret
    DGCGCD

fifths: I have tenor in this, also 
    I have a baritone acoustic tuned to 
     G  D  A  E  B F#

Also I've been playing fingerstyle spooky stuff on an acoustic in open G

When I had a vg88 and then a vg99, I used to use this:
    AEAAAD
    -7 -5 -5 +2 -2 -2
    which produced some very nice Metheny textures
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I don't use alternate tunings much when playing live. It's just too much faffing about. On the odd occasions I do it's mostly drop D or that well known pop song where you tune the top E string down to Eb. Never really got into DADGAD but use open G and open D when playing slide at home.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    for live electric playing in different tunings, are you chaps aware of the VG strat?
    or a vg99 for that matter
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Albatross, by Corrosion of Conformity is a nice sludgy drop D song. At least that's the tuning I play it in ;)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • Not quite so "alt" but I really liked D standard on my old Taylor. Something about that guitar just opened up and sounded marvellous - either the change in tension or resonant frequencies or both.

Haven't tried it on the Dove. That's tonight sorted :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • The "Jeff Kollman" tuning - CGDGBE.

• I like that half Nashville tuning Pat Metheny uses with his baritone acoustic - A-D-G-C-E-A, but the 3rd and 4th strings are tuned up an octave higher.  

• Open D for when I want to play stuff off Blood on the Tracks or dropped D for Bert Jansch type excursions.
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4196
    viz said:
    Ah thanks! Yes, singing too.
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    Awse. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited January 2017
    Ry Cooder: Hey Eric, what's that strange tuning you're using?

Eric Clapton: EADGBE.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it