How do you gig your Lazy J20?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    edited April 2017
    Not that I'm a fan, but I think you're onto something with the Tele. My strat's low output pickups struggle to get enough drive from the J20, but my 335 can't get clean. I did play a Les Paul Jr's P90s through a J20 once which was glorious. Anyone tried a Jazzmaster?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Just seen this thread.  I'm a bit difference to some of the other guys here.  I tend to have it on an edge of breakup sound where it's clean if I hit the strings softly, and then use pedals to push it over the edge for gainier sounds.
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    @Lebarque a fuzzface is indeed almost a perfect pedal to boost the j20!
    @crunchman The problem I'm mainly having is getting a volume lift for solo's AFTER stepping on the pedals
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    @ruoma That's what i was getting at. In my experience, you can only get a volume boost if you are running the amp clean enough (with a bit of headroom to spare) and then boosting it. Boosting a dirty amp just dirties it up more, with no volume increase. OR use guitar volume to get louder and dirtier at the same time.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    A lazy J is what I have after I get home from a gig.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ruoma said:
    @Lebarque a fuzzface is indeed almost a perfect pedal to boost the j20!
    @crunchman The problem I'm mainly having is getting a volume lift for solo's AFTER stepping on the pedals
    Where are you putting the boost. If you want volume boost rather than gain boost it's better at the end of the chain of pedals although, as @Lebarque said, if the amp is already maxed out volume wise you won't get a big boost in volume.
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    crunchman said:
    Where are you putting the boost. If you want volume boost rather than gain boost it's better at the end of the chain of pedals although, as @Lebarque said, if the amp is already maxed out volume wise you won't get a big boost in volume.
    Of course, and that's the whole conundrum which I wonder how all you guys deal with setup wise :)
    ruoma said:
    crunchman said:
    Of course, and that's the whole conundrum which I wonder how all you guys deal with setup wise :)
    There is always a compromise and I don't think there is any way round that.  People tried with channel switchers but they tend to sound sterile in comparison with a good single channnel amp.  If you use a single channel amp for it's raw tone then you do sacrifice the variety ot sounds.

I'm actually using my Kemper more and more.  While any individual sound might be 98% of the way there compared with the real thing, the range of amps that you can have, and the versatility, means that overall it's an absolutely brilliant piece of kit.  It's great to be able to go from a Lazy J profile to a 60's Princeton, or go the other extreme with a JCM800 rig.  I''ve always said I'd never sell my Lazy J but I have started to think about it recently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Following this thread with interest. J20s are a very complex amp and so many things to consider.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
     said:
    Following this thread with interest. J20s are a very complex amp and so many things to consider.
    Frankly I'm stunned no one has even mentioned the effect of ley lines on the power section yet. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
     said:
    Frankly I'm stunned no one has even mentioned the effect of ley lines on the power section yet. 
    I'm not sure they run through the classifieds! 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    I thought: Rusty transit? wrapped in a blanket in boot of a Ford Focus? or on front seat of your Audi R8 with seatbelt wrapped round...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>