Capos

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7427
What are folks' preferred Capos for us on acoustic? 

I have a venerable old Shubb but find the lack of easy stowability to be a drag, as is adjusting for different places on the neck.

I had/have a G7th 'Nashville' type but can't lay my hands on it at the mo.
what are you using?

@Lewy has your solid-unobtanium one turned up yet? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    TimmyO said:
    What are folks' preferred Capos for us on acoustic? 

I have a venerable old Shubb but find the lack of easy stowability to be a drag, as is adjusting for different places on the neck.

I had/have a G7th 'Nashville' type but can't lay my hands on it at the mo.
    what are you using?

@Lewy has your solid-unobtanium one turned up yet? 
    Hahah - yep, and it's awesome.

I capo more often than I don't, and I like the "stirrup" design for the ability to store the capo behind the nut, and that it can never spring off while in use. One handed operation....the ability to remove or reposition a capo mid-song...these are of no interest to me so I don't find the perceived limitations of the design at all bothersome.

There are cheap stirrup capos (Paige) but they feel it so I have two different but equally expensive versions - An Elliott Elite and a G7th Heritage. They are a luxury for sure and I'm sure my choice inspires as much bemusement in some people as paying to watch a football match does in me :)

After these, standard Shubbs would be my choice. I have a "deluxe" one but actually I don't think it's as good as my brass standard one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5279
    elliot elite for me sits behind the nut when not needed and is defo a cut above the rest 
  • Honestly mate, get yourself a Shubb Fine Tune. Absolutely stunning.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Never had any problems with a Kyser Acoustic Capo
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    Kyser.

Electric, acoustic, 12-string. All work flawlessly - I've never even considered buying another capo since I got them, and although I've tried a couple out of curiosity I didn't like them.

Simple, reliable, one-hand operation, clamp it to the headstock when not in use if you want.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jim Dunlop spring-clamp type effort. Great, very happy with it, much better than those old strappy ones with the teeth...vile things

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    @ICBM You've never had issues with them pulling the strings out of tune? Or have you a fix?
    camf said:

@ICBM You've never had issues with them pulling the strings out of tune? Or have you a fix?
    No issues with them pulling the guitar out of tune, even on a 12-string. The 'fix' is to put them on in the right place :).

You can put them straight on or move them from one position to another and at least 9 times out of 10 it will be bang on first go. If it's ever slightly out it's usually because you haven't put it on quite straight and all you need to do is release it slightly and let it re-clamp - not tune the guitar.

I've never come across any capo that works as well with so little hassle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

For a singer, it's such a boon to have it stuck there on the headstock. :)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7427
    I've found my G7th Nashville (their trigger type one)

I'll stick with that for now
    Red ones are better. 
  • I love the g7th pro II
    You mean the Performance 2, maybe? Is the Pro 2 a new one?
  • Yes, that's the one!
    :) Sorry!

• Regular G7th for me. Still brilliant.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I've not tried one, but it looks like the G7th Perf II clips on the headstock like a Kyser, yes?
  • ICBM said:
    camf said:

No issues with them pulling the guitar out of tune, even on a 12-string. The 'fix' is to put them on in the right place :).

You can put them straight on or move them from one position to another and at least 9 times out of 10 it will be bang on first go. If it's ever slightly out it's usually because you haven't put it on quite straight and all you need to do is release it slightly and let it re-clamp - not tune the guitar.

I've never come across any capo that works as well with so little hassle.
    How do you get a capo to work on a 12-string? I have a G7th and it can't handle the higher strings at all, it just seems to deaden them.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    TheOtherDennis said:

How do you get a capo to work on a 12-string?
    By using a Kyser 12-string capo.

• Well I did ask.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom