Fender Bassbreaker

What's Hot
Lez325Lez325 Frets: 82
edited November 2016 in Amps
Decided to treat myself for Christmas and buy a Fender Bassbreaker 15w head 

My question is about Cabs- there are 2 to choose from a 1x12 and a 2 x12

The 1x12 set up with amp is around the £660 mark from Andertons

The 2 x12 set up is around £760 from GAK - all with free delivery- my question is - would it be worth the extra £100 for a 2 x 12 cab, in terms of sound, output, tone etc- talking small pub - club gigs etc Mic'd or straight to amp

http://i.imgur.com/1ccsHtG.jpg

I apologize for the noob questions, I am usually a combo man and this will be my first venture into Heads n Cabs

Les 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Or there's the 18/30 combo, which is still EL84 and sounds lovely.  Yes it's bigger (although only the same size as the 2x12 cab) and would be perfect for gigging.  It's a bit bigger but only about the same weight as a HRDX.
  • Lez325Lez325 Frets: 82
    Thanks Richard. I didn't consider the 18/30. I'll check it out as I have decided to drive over to Guildford and visit Andertons in person. see what's what.

Les 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Be aware that the 18/30 is a completely different amp from the 15 - It's non-master volume and has no FX loop (and the 45 is completely different again...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    Agree about the master volume of course. The joy of that is that the 30 watt channel is a bit Twin like in that it is really clean quiet and quite loud. The 18 watt side is like a slightly more compressed Pro Junior and crunches up nicely.  Both channels like ODs though so you can get dirty at lesser volumes if needed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    I am still leaning towards the 15w head and 1x12 or 2 x 12, just not sure if the 2 x 12 at £100 more expensive has any benefit over a 1 x 12 cab?  

Thoughts anyone ?

I have had combos for years and really fancy a change 

Les 
  • If you've got the space go with the 2x12
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    More is more. I prefer 212's. 

However, the 15 does have a good emulated line out so you can use that for gigs, depending on the PA. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• ewalewal Frets: 2583
    So would the 18/30 Bassbreaker be the best value entry point for a giggable fender clean like amp?
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • ewal said:
    So would the 18/30 Bassbreaker be the best value entry point for a giggable fender clean like amp?

Hot rod deluxe! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ewal said:

Hot rod deluxe! 

^^Agree ^^. The HRDX is however a fair bit more expensive new.  The 2x12 format of the Bassbreaker moves some serious air though and it can be plenty loud if needed.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    True, but there are loads of HRDX available second hand for £350-400 - even the Mk IIIs.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    2 x 12 no question. Aside from volume (pushing more air) even at lower volumes, your sound will be 'bigger/fuller' - the problem with a 1x12 is that they can sometimes sound quite 'boxy'.  If you heard them side by side, you'll immediately hear what I mean.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Go try them. I went to buy a bassbraker recently based on spec and youtube demos. It seemed like my dream amp. 

I came home without one.

I ended up with a second hand HRD which suits my needs so much better and to my ears sounds better. Never had a problem with it only being a 1x12 as anything bigger than a tiny pub and it's likely to be miked up anyway.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Why Oh Why don't Fender do the Hot Rod Deluxe as a head?
    Don't touch that dial.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Fez said:
    Why Oh Why don't Fender do the Hot Rod Deluxe as a head?
    I have asked this question myself many times.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:
    2 x 12 no question. Aside from volume (pushing more air) even at lower volumes, your sound will be 'bigger/fuller' - the problem with a 1x12 is that they can sometimes sound quite 'boxy'.  If you heard them side by side, you'll immediately hear what I mean.  
    Im driving over to Andertons next week - I'll have a listen then

Les