Rolling Stones - Blue and lonesome

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
If you like the blues then check out this album - best Stones' album for decades. You can listen on Spotify. Amazing sound from a bunch of pensioners.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've heard mixed reviews actually. I need to sit and listen for myself. From the one song I downloaded, I think it's one of those things where I'll go "it's alright, but..." 

Only because a blues covers album can either be amazing, or, really well uhm... shite. 

That said, I'm keen to give it a go. So when I have the chance to do so, I will. But so far, I've heard mixed reviews.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I've heard mixed reviews actually. I need to sit and listen for myself. From the one song I downloaded, I think it's one of those things where I'll go "it's alright, but..." 

Only because a blues covers album can either be amazing, or, really well uhm... shite. 

That said, I'm keen to give it a go. So when I have the chance to do so, I will. But so far, I've heard mixed reviews.
    It's old school raw blues not Bonamassa style blues. Technically it's closer to the stuff the Stones were recording in the 1960s. Some tasty guitar playing and slide work on the album.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've heard a few tracks.  It's like the Bonamassa style guys listened to the 60s white blues bloom template and thought: this is great, but what we it needs if a bit more polish - faster, slicker, smoother.  While the Stones thought - no, keep it rough, loose and baggy and don't over-complicate a simple form. I'm not sure I'll give it a huge amount of listening time, I only rarely dabble in blues these days, but I'm definitely with Mick and Keef on this one. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Have only heard one song, which I quite enjoyed, but it is on my Ecksmass list and if I don't get it I shall buy it in January anyway :)

• Really enjoying it myself, great playing and appropriate production, raw and earthy, just how I like my blues....
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited December 2016
    First listen this afternoon, very middle of the road and predictable. That said, its a decent stones album which considering their senior years is an achievement. Some good guitar playing in there. Not sure if it will be played again though.
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    edited December 2016
    Fretwired said:
    If you like the blues then check out this album - best Stones' album for decades. You can listen on Spotify. Amazing sound from a bunch of pensioners.
    Only heard some clips on R4 & Stones site & I agree, way better than anything I've heard them do in ages & personally much prefer what I heard to the current blues savants. The sound really has some crank & I was especially impressed by the harmonica playing.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Really enjoying it. Nice guitar, vocals, harp, drums and not overdone.  Going to be playing it a lot in the car me thinks. Every time I listen it makes me want to pick up my guitar and jam. 
  • If you own led Zeppelin at the BBC or don't explain by bonamassa/hart, you don't need this. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you own led Zeppelin at the BBC or don't explain by bonamassa/hart, you don't need this. 
    Rolling Stones have more authenticity and soul in their wrinkles than Bonamassa has in his entire body though. That's the problem. I can understand stacking it up against Led Zep. But stacking them up against JB/Beth Hart, that's just blasphemous. 

I quite like it. I don't think I would buy it. But I do quite like it. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonsimon Frets: 41
    I also quite like it. Perhaps we should be raising a glass to salute them being physically capable of producing an album like this? However I then made a playlist of the original versions of these songs, and don't feel the need to revisit the Stones album which obviously pales in comparison.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I think it's great, except for that BLOODY CHINA CYMBAL that Charlie for some reason has seen fit to use all over their more recent recordings.  I wish someone would hide the bloody thing...

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • Fretwired said:
    i might give it a try but im more of a rolling stones fan that likes there 60s recordings than the 70s and later.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Just bought this. IMHO a bit of a mixed bag. On the whole a good album. Some tasty slide on one of the tracks (which turns out to be Clapton). However, and admittedly on only a first listen, some of the tracks sound quite forgettable.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I think I've actually listened to the album once. I got it for Christmas... I bought Sticky Fingers and Exile on iTunes a while ago, I find I listen to those more than I listen to Blue...

And abiggerbang, I have on CD, and I listen to that a fair bit. I enjoy it. Last all-original album they did.

It's not a bad album it's just decidedly average as a whole piece, with a few solid songs.