Mac midi keyboard?

What's Hot
I've got an m audio axiom 25 that works perfect with my MacBook. Bought the 49 key version today and the laptop will power up the keyboard but I can't get it to recognise the playing. 

I've been doing some reading and it seems to be that the usb 3 ports on my MacBook aren't giving enough power to the 49 key version, so I assume I need a usb 3 midi controller.

Can anyone recommend me a keyboard that definitely works with OS X Yosemite?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    Can you not use a 9v power supply to power the keyboard?
    If you don't have enough power to power the Axiom then you may not be able to power another keyboard.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7360
    It's a 12v DC centre positive one that it needs. Is that basically the same as a standard boss adapted but 12v instead of 9? I've got one that I use with my boss pedals that can change to 12v.
    Ah I think my supply is centre negative. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    My MacBook Pro with USB 3 powers my midi keyboard with no issues at all, that seems very odd indeed
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited December 2016
    My Macbook Air doesn't recognise my Midi keyboard with a long USB cable but it does work with a short one - worth a try

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stevebsteveb Frets: 42
    Try a usb 2 powered hub
    It is very odd because the 25 key version of the exact same keyboard works perfectly.

I've tried with my powered hub and no luck. What size usb cable works for you @sweepy ;? The one that I'm using is quite long.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    Just a usual 1.5m cable, iirc the average length 
    Do you know that the keyboard is actually working?
    Have you tested it on another machine?
    Afraid that I don't have another computer to try it on. It powers up, I can move the pitch bend and the numbers change on the screen. It acts like its in perfect working order, just won't be recognised by the MacBook.

Ive done some reading and it appears that the m audio keyboards don't work very well with OSX Mavericks onwards. There are loads of people saying they're having the same problem.
    Ah ok.
    Seems a weird problem.
    I have an Axiom 25- no issue using it with my MBP or Mac Pro- never tried the 49 though.
  • DefaultM said:
    Afraid that I don't have another computer to try it on. It powers up, I can move the pitch bend and the numbers change on the screen. It acts like its in perfect working order, just won't be recognised by the MacBook.

Ive done some reading and it appears that the m audio keyboards don't work very well with OSX Mavericks onwards. There are loads of people saying they're having the same problem.
    Never had a problem with keystation 49 or 61es on up to date MacBook and mac mini 
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited December 2016
    DefaultM said:

mine is an M-audio keystation 49 (bought last week from @Sporky on here). It did power up but wasn't recognised by my Macbook. I connected it to an old Windows XP desktop and it was instantly recognised.

Lots of people on the M-audio forums reported similar problems and many of them had better luck with a shorter USB cable. So I bought a .5m one instead of the 1.5m printer cable I had used and voilà - everything working as it should. 

Don't know why somebody wowed my post above - wouldn't make sense either in an ironic or in a genuine way. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm on my way for a 0.5 metre one. Hope it works cos I don't want to have to get a different keyboard.
    Well the cable didn't work, and the power supply I bought wouldn't even fit in the socket. So weird. Back to the shop it goes.
    Going to try the Novation Impulse 49 and buy it new. Then if it doesn't work i can return it under DSR I assume? Never had to do that before.
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Does sound odd. My Keystation 88 works fine with a macbook pro 13 just being powered by USB.
    I was so pissed off when I took it back to the shop. I spent literally hours trying to get it to work, buying new cables and power supplies and resetting it etc, finally gave up and the guys were fine about it. They're about to give me my money back and the manager comes over with 

"whats the problem?"
    "He can't get it to make any sounds"
    *lifts it up and identifies it's a midi keyboard*
    "yeah that's cos you have to connect it to a speaker".

Oh shit. Silly me! I'd not thought of that!