W3here do you start?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
So I've been watching some YouTube vids on the caged system, then I realised there is a whole bunch of stuff I don't know that I need to know, so is there a starting point and progression ladder when learning theory?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    Well this is going to be controversial but I believe the best is the ABRSM theory grades 1-8. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    Are they exams?
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Justin Sandercoe's Practical Music Theory is good.

It's Justin of justinguitar.com
  • FWIW
    Learn your Pentatonic, Maj & Minor scales first
    Then on your scales build intervals and the full chords to understand their relationship
    Expand into modes and learn how they sound over keys/chord progressions
    Then song structure & progressions ( Ie I IV V) in different types of music and more complex chords

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    The biggest "Eureka" moment for me, many years ago, was harmonising the major scale and the resultant chord triads. Learning arpeggios opens up the guitar neck in a way that the CAGED system never can imho
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    I find by learning pemtatonics in all positions then arps all positions then learn the corresponding scale over the arp..i think the important thing is knowing each interval in the arp so that when you build chords you can see the notes that need added ....
    robgilmo said:
    Are they exams?
    Check it on that google thing. There are exams ("Grades"), but of course you can just get the course material. It will teach you, bit by bit, the basics of music theory from note names to rhythm to melody to harmony; basically 99% of classical musicians the world over have gone through the course. Justin Sandercoe et al are also brilliant and probably more accessible and relevant to us rockers, but I still feel the classical route gives you an incredibly solid grounding. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    robgilmo said:
    Are they exams?
    Check it on that google thing. There are exams ("Grades"), but of course you can just get the course material. It will teach you, bit by bit, the basics of music theory from note names to rhythm to melody to harmony; basically 99% of classical musicians the world over have gone through the course. Justin Sandercoe et al are also brilliant and probably more accessible and relevant to us rockers, but I still feel the classical route gives you an incredibly solid grounding. 

I like the idea of that, thank you.
    Barney said:
    I find by learning pemtatonics in all positions then arps all positions then learn the corresponding scale over the arp..i think the important thing is knowing each interval in the arp so that when you build chords you can see the notes that need added ....

Whats an arp?
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    robgilmo said:
    Barney said:

Whats an arp?
    Its an arpeggio...1..3 ..5th ..7th for example ..or like a broken chord...im surprised you didnt ask what a pemtatonic is...just saw my spelling ..lol
    I'm working on my pemtatonics, will google my arps as well , thanks.
  • robgilmo said:
    I'm working on my pemtatonics, will google my arps as well , thanks.
    It's already been mentioned but Justinguitar.com is a great resource for learning about arpeggios and how to use them in your playing. There is much more too. You could find all you need to learn your theory.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited December 2016
    For me , learn Notes - Intervals - Chords/Scales - Moving around,  in that order
  • Pentatonics is good place to start.  Bruce Saunders Jazz Pentatonics book is excellent and gives you advanced use of pentatonics as well as other pentatonics such as minor 6 pentatonic, dominant 7 pentatonic, minor 7b5 pentatonic and major b6 pentatonic. 

• viz said:
    Well this is going to be controversial but I believe the best is the ABRSM theory grades 1-8. 
    LCM popular Music theory is more relevant to Guitar I think
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    edited December 2016
    viz said:
    LCM popular Music theory is more relevant to Guitar I think

In theory, music theory isn't relevant to one instrument over another. In practice, it probably is though.

There's been some reasonable suggestions so far, beware there's a lot of overcomplicated rubbish out there on the internet too. Personally, I like Michael New's channel on Youtube: although its explained on piano keyboard, with passing mention to guitar when relevant.

Good points - I confess I don't know the LCM theory syllabus, will check it, cheers