New MESA amp- TC50

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
just found this:

Q1: How much in UK?
Q2: How much does it weigh?

but through headphones it sounds epic imho and looks full of features.....
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The answer to both your questions is ten hundred million pounds. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • There's already a thread on this.

The UK price is more money, than the most money, you could ever imagine, ever, in the history of money....
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Mesa Triple Crown

So named because it weighs and costs as much as this little lot…

http://stories-of-london.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Crown-Jewels-UK-Collage1.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    It may be expensive but Mesa do make some lovely gear
  • The combo is listed at £2750 in GuitarGuitar.

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The combo is listed at £2750 in GuitarGuitar.

Farkin' ell! 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
    The answer to both your questions is ten hundred million pounds. 
    £2500 for the head at Andertons, so not far off! 

Cor blimey guv, similar price to the full fat Mark V....
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Wait a year 'till they show up for sale used ... can't go wrong  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited December 2016
    I'm sure this is about to really revolutionise the amplifier world.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    edited February 2017
    it does sound very good on the demo.
    It's also a full £1000 cheaper in the US than the UK - i don;t care how you add it up, that is ridiculous.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TripleCH

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    ^ So it's (much) less in dollars than it is in pounds?

Can't say I didn't suspect as much, but as you said, that's taking the piss. I don't expect it to be as cheap as in the USA, but I expect the upcharge to be reasonable, at the same time.
  • i've heard all the arguments about VAT, shipping, exchange rates etc but there isn't such a vast markup on Friedman which is a completely comparable product in terms of production.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    i've heard all the arguments about VAT, shipping, exchange rates etc but there isn't such a vast markup on Friedman which is a completely comparable product in terms of production.
    It's all of the above, shipping, exchange rates, VAT, cost to adapt to U.K. voltage, and dist mark up. 

I did a import duty calculator just as a for instance to see what came out. 
    I used retail as obviously I'm not sure what the trade would be. 

£1017 gbp trade value assuming 30% lift from us retail and currency conversion to gbp
    £1362 after import duty
    £100 shipping estimated 

so that leave £980 roughly to make ready for U.K. power, dist mark up, and retailer mark up. 

Lets assume £200? worth of labour and parts to make it Uk compatable, leaving £780 for the dist and retailer.
    £390 each in profit where as a standard 30% lift would be nearer £750 on £2450. 

if anyone wants me to have a stab at the NHS budget I'll have a go. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

i've heard all the arguments about VAT, shipping, exchange rates etc but there isn't such a vast markup on Friedman which is a completely comparable product in terms of production.
    Don't Friedman just deal direct with the shops? 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited March 2017

Lets assume £200? worth of labour and parts to make it Uk compatable, leaving £780 for the dist and retailer.

In principle I like your post and would fight and die for you. But what do you think they need to do to make it UK compatable? It'll be given a 230-volt power transformer during manufacture by Mesa before they ship it over for the European market, it's not like the distributer needs to do anything to the amps they get in boxes other than send them to shops.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I very much doubt shipping cost will be anything like £100 either - that would be about the cost for shipping one amp privately. Mesa will send over a container of them at commercial rates.

The comparison is not just with Friedman - almost every other major US brand marks up their products far less in the UK. Mesa is one of the worst for overcharging. One of the giveaways is that they're very restrictive and extremely expensive for a replacement 240V power transformer, in order to stop people 'grey importing'. If the markup wasn't so excessive it would not be cheaper to import an amp privately anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    One of the giveaways is that they're very restrictive and extremely expensive for a replacement 240V power transformer..
    I've long thought this was anti-competitive and I no longer buy Mesa amps new because of these tactics.

The new prices are nothing short of a blatant rip off in the UK.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    Cirrus said:

In principle I like your post and would fight and die for you. But what do you think they need to do to make it UK compatable? It'll be given a 230-volt power transformer during manufacture by Mesa before they ship it over for the European market, it's not like the distributer needs to do anything to the amps they get in boxes other than send them to shops.
    lol cheers dude, I perhaps didn't lay it out that well, I meant the modifications in the factory, of which Mesa will charge us through the nose for. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Even at Mesa, It's just a worker on the production line picks a transformer out of box A for a US market amp, and box B for a Europe market amp. There's no extra work involved.

The bugger of it is, that video in the OP makes me think it's gonna be a really cool amp.
    edited March 2017
    professorben said:

lol cheers dude, I perhaps didn't lay it out that well, I meant the modifications in the factory, of which Mesa will charge us through the nose for. 
    There are no modifications in the factory. Export models are built with the export power transformer from the start as Cirrus says. There is almost certainly no difference in the cost of the transformer, since the export version is not multi-voltage either.

This is in contrast to Fender who *do* use a more expensive, multi-voltage transformer for the export models, but still aren't marked up anything like as much here.