Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What Pedal "blew you away" this year?

What's Hot

Comments

• Ezhi and Aka's The Flutter. Absolutely nothing else like it out there, beautifully expressive and quirky without being another fuzz/feedback or delay derivative.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ezhi and Aka's The Flutter. Absolutely nothing else like it out there, beautifully expressive and quirky without being another fuzz/feedback or delay derivative.
    That's a company I've not heard of. They have some interesting stuff..
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I discovered Hudson, the Broadcast and 999 are excellent. The brilliant Boss Waza pedals have become staples on my live board, they just work. The RYRA Klone is also lovely.
    The winner for me though is the FX-8, an amazing bit of kit.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    The Amptweaker Fat Metal

It's a more low down n dirty version of the Tight Metal. Not only is the tone fantastic, but the FX loop on the back is dead handy. Also has a noise gate, is one of the most solidly built pedals I've ever owned, and the best feature of all: the SideTrak loop. This means you can hook up a pedal so when you disengage the pedal, the pedal in the SideTrak loop becomes active, so it more or less gives you an option of a second channel, but what you choose to go in the second channel is completely up to you. For instance I had a Mooer Hustle Drive there on low gain, so it instantly gave me an extra gain stage but without colouring my main drive tone.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    The pedal that really surprised me as to how good it sounds compared to the 'original' is actually a very cheap one - a Behringer TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive.  Just amazingly good tube-screamer tone for peanuts that uses original 4558 ic plus ma150 distortion diodes as in the Ibanez TS808.  And as for reliability, it's had a permanent place on my pedal board for 9 years now and it's still going strong with no issues whatsoever.  

The other pedal on my board that I think is massively under-rated and sounds really good is the Marshall Guvn'r 2.  Inexpensive, built like a tank - and really sounds like a Marshall! I must get round to doing that C22 'snip' mod though.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    4114 FX Mythical Overdrive

ThorpyFX Muffroom Cloud & Peacekeeper

Carpe Diem

Origin Compressor (big one with the transformer)
    Red ones are better. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    No new pedals this year but I dug out an old Melos Mini Comp from my pedal cupboard and it's one of the nicest comps I've played.
    I obviously never gave it a chance when I first bought it.
    It also has the outline of a footprint painted around the footswitch in case you forget to use your foot and try to switch it on with your elbow or chin.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Two spring to mind, both of which were DIY builds. The first is a violet Muff (the second iteration of the violet, to be precise) made with identical components, save the transistors, which are nigh-on impossible to get hold of these days. Oh, and a mids pot. The thing absolutely roars! Definitely my favourite Muff version so far.
    The second is a clone of the Mutron Phasor II. I bought a PCB for this one. Although I actually enjoy working on stripboard, the Phasor II would beed a pretty big board to fit everything on, and when you can get a really well designed, compact PCB for cheaps, it's silly not to.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited December 2016
    Skreddy lunar module - its how you imagine a fuzzface should sound. 
    Buffalo TD-X - fat smoothness, amazing
    Bearfoot pale green comp - delicious on guitar or bass
    That's a company I've not heard of. They have some interesting stuff..
    I really, really, really want a Tape+ now.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Tried some Mooer pedals. Some of them blew me away. Bought the Hustle Drive and the Solo ones. They still blow me away.
  • Lovepedal HPTT, Jam Pedals Rattler Classic and the RYRA klone
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    I'd also like to add the Behringer Echo, a fab piece of self oscillating goodness done dirt cheap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very interesting thread...

For me, in no particular order...

- RYRA Klone

- Analogman KOT

- Dunlop Echoplex

- Lovepedal Amp 11

But the King of them all - FX8 and AX8
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited December 2016
    If we are including mfx units, then the Vox Tonelab SE I got earlier this year is blindingly good. It may be old tech but for gigging tone, ease of use, features, and switching options, I've found nothing better.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    A Bearfoot EGDM.

I've had it for a couple of years and couldn't get a decent sound out of it, tried to sell it a while back but, luckily in hindsight, it didn't sell.

For some unknown reason, this year it's suddenly sounding superb despite me not doing anything particularly different, I'm loving this pedal and I don't ever want to turn it off!

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• simonk said:
    I discovered Hudson, the Broadcast and 999 are excellent. The brilliant Boss Waza pedals have become staples on my live board, they just work. The RYRA Klone is also lovely.
    The winner for me though is the FX-8, an amazing bit of kit.
    The DM2W is extremely impressive. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Free The Tone:

Ambi Space - Due January
    Tri-Avatar - Due January
    Silky Comp - Due Next
    Iron Forest - Due Next

The sound quality just blew my mind on all of them.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Having not used pedals since I sold my HM-2 about 20 years ago, I bought a couple this year, that realistically I haven't got around to using to potential (WH Supa-Puss, Blue Rhino and an EHX Cathedral). However, I did build a couple of pedals (a WH Red Llama clone and a Lovepedal Woodrow), and whilst the sound probably needs tweaking a bit, I was frankly gobsmacked that I could do this with a bit of stripboard, a soldering iron and a few components. So, for sheer "Hey, I actually built this!"-ness, that's what blew me away this year.

Next build - a phaser :)

Adam

• Alnico said:
    Free The Tone:

Ambi Space - Due January
    Tri-Avatar - Due January
    Silky Comp - Due Next
    Iron Forest - Due Next

The sound quality just blew my mind on all of them.
    Their Flight Time sounds really good.