output jack tighteners

What's Hot
Looking for some advice ..

The nut on my strat output jack keeps loosening, which is a bit annoying.  At the moment I am just finger tightening.

I can see a few tightening tools on the internet, from high to low cost .. jack the gripper - which seems a bit rough and ready, and pricey; jacktight - a more professionally finished jack the gripper, and cheaper; and bullet - there seem mixed views on how effective this lowest cost tool is.

Once I have the right tool to do the job, I think I'll use a thread locker, there is a blue liquid I used on car components which seemed to work ok.

Any advice/feedback on what others use would be greatly appreciated.

-site:amazon.co.uk -site:ebay.co.uk... ditto for .com, the most powerful internet search filters
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    I use a combination spanner or, for recessed ones, a socket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    It is loosening because you are only making it finger tight.
    As above ^^^
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    First - remove the jack plate. Check that the jack is a Switchcraft - it will say so in tiny letters round the inside end of the barrel if you're not familiar with them. If it isn't, buy one - other jacks are inferior and can't be tightened up enough, they're too weak. Check that it has a shakeproof 'star' washer on the inside.

If all that's correct, you need to tighten the nut with a proper socket and a T-bar or a ratchet handle, while holding the jack in exactly the right position - with the contact pointing directly downwards, or it won't go back into the hole correctly - using a cloth, while you tighten the nut.

Before you tighten it, put some superglue on the thread - I find it easiest to undo the nut until it nearly comes off and drip some glue into the gap, rather than take it right off and have to re-fit the nut with wet superglue around. Superglue not threadlock because you want it *really* stuck. Then tighten it up as hard as you can with the socket handle. Really as hard as you can - I've never stripped a Switchcraft yet doing it.

This sounds complicated, but it's worth it - if you do all this, it will never come loose again. Ever. Not even with the abuse they get on schools guitars... which is where I developed this method :).

In the unlikely event you ever need to replace the jack (even though Switchcrafts last decades) you can heat the nut with a soldering iron and it will break the glue - but be careful you don't get the fumes in your eyes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Pliers.

job done

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Exactly as ICBM said above.  The drop of superglue will keep the nut in place.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Thanks everyone, I will see what jack is installed and go from there.
    -site:amazon.co.uk -site:ebay.co.uk... ditto for .com, the most powerful internet search filters
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    As the strat has a recessed socket that you can remove with 2 screws - do this 
    Then as ICBM said ...good quality jack....star washer ....1/2" (or 12mm if not switchcraft) socket.
    Star washer is the best 20p you'll ever spend!

I use the Cruz socket tool (and we sell them too) and they are brilliant with lots of uses and will last forever (£14)

Jack the gripper is a very good tool but not what you need here - it is so useful with a 335 or an acoustic jack

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339

Jack the gripper is a very good tool but not what you need here - it is so useful with a 335 or an acoustic jack
    I use a taper reamer for that. There's a risk of chewing up the inside of the barrel if you let it slip, but if you apply a bit of pressure it won't. If anything the small ridges it tends to leave probably help make a good contact to the plug.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein