Black Korina for a neck?

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2609
edited December 2016 in Making & Modding tFB Trader

Hello all...

I have some new wood that I intend to use for a build..  Its black Korina.  A single piece for the body and I also picked up a neck blank when I picked it up.. I had intended to use some ash for the neck but when I saw the blank I thought it would make a better match...  I will try and post pics (not done it before on this forum so I hope this works).

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/DSC_0052_zpsysfvv8j4.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/DSC_0054_zps9tltq8lb.jpg

Should make a nice guitar that..

Anyway, my actual question as the title suggests is has anyone used Black Korina for a neck before?  I have tried to look the woods hardness up and it comes in at about 500- 600 on the janka scale (depending on where you look).. Which to me says that its barely suitable for a neck (sort of on the line in my humble opinion).. BUT in talking to the guy I got the wood from he reckons that this batch he has is pretty hard for Korina since all species seem to have harder and softer types (depending on which part of the tree it came from ??)...

So I thought id ask and see if anyone has any experience with this wood for a neck? (before getting to the end of the build and only then realising :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    i have done 3 or 4 in the past, all worked well.  Its like mahogany, fine for necks if you choose the right bit it all comes down to judging the bit you have (can;t see thee pics).  in fairness, its a lot better than ash for this purpos

i am actually putting together a guitar with the last one at the moment.  The neck was made at least 8 years ago and has never been used.  Its dead straight.   But i did us carbon fibre reinforcement so i expect no less ;)
    edited December 2016
    also, black limba/korina is no different to the white version gibson used - it comes from the same tree, terminlia superba .  gibson used it for many explorers and V's without any extra reinforcement

There is a second tree sold under the same name but never supplies the dark coloured version, and isn;t as golden as the white version gibson used.  Terminilia Ivorensis.   - often sold in the UK as idigbo.  i think the grain is a bit coarser and not as pretty, but if you get a good bit its right there with classic korina
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Ok..  Thanks Wez..  I appreciate the incite...  I think this is going to be a great place to hang out ..  And I reckon it will be ok... I have made about 12 guitars so far so I have a good idea of whats suitable..  Its just that since the janka hardness level was pretty low I just thought it would be a good idea to double check with the people who know :)
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    also, black limba/korina is no different to the white version gibson used - it comes from the same tree, terminlia superba .  gibson used it for many explorers and V's without any extra reinforcement

There is a second tree sold under the same name but never supplies the dark coloured version, and isn;t as golden as the white version.  Terminilia Ivorensis.   - often sold in the UK as idigbo.  i think the grain is a bit coarser and not as pretty, but if you get a good bit its right there with classic korina

Yes this is what I have read...  that the black and white versions are pretty much the same..  Known as a super mahogany with similar properties but brighter....  So I guess almost like a Les Paul with a maple cap in terms of sound...

I also have a really nice spalted maple top that I was thinking of using for this build but the korina is so nice I may deicide to make it a slab body instead...

its actually closer to an all mahogany sound than it is a mahogany with maple top sound.... but korina has a nice richness which stops it being too dark.  Some mahogany does too.

I will say, i think it makes great sounding guitar in isolation,  but it can get lost in the mix.  nothing to worry about, just be aware of the EQ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I really liked the Korina guitars I have played (@customkits S and T types), they had Korina necks and the necks felt fine. 

Btw, Spanish Cedar is lighter/softer used for lots of acoustic guitar necks which generally have as much if not more tension than electric guitar necks and it's a great wood for necks.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jock68Jock68 Frets: 902
    Japanese master builders Momose have an amazing set of Guitars in Black Korina, great guitars, better than comparable Gibsons, as long as you can live without the label.. 
    Jock
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    I really like limba, bloody good tone imo

I plan a junior sc, dc and firebird sort of in it, nice weight too

What was interesting the strat style I made still sounded very strat like, apparantly fender made a few limba bodied strats in the 60's 

I was worried about the necks and put a 2 way rod in to be safe but I'm going back to my traditional style rods next time
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for all the comments guys....  Much appreciated....  I feel much better about using it now  :) 
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Suhr seem to like using it and it sure looks good ;)

Wish i could find some slabs of it locally especially the orange flecked stuff

There's and ebay seller from Germany edelholzhandel2012 who has some BL tops at a pretty good price from time to time

edited December 2016 tFB Trader

There's and ebay seller from Germany edelholzhandel2012 who has some BL tops at a pretty good price from time to time

Well im not sure where you are based...  But I got this from a bloke selling on Ebay...  I went to his house to collect it and he has a whole pile of BL, everything from body blanks to tops, to necks, some of it was even figured...  Really nice stuff too and reasonable prices I think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iana1174/m.html?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    That's Ian, he's a nice guy

I had a truck load of stuff from him before he went all high street lol, now I have to pay more

They have an online shop now

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)