Seriously?

What's Hot
RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
edited January 2014 in Guitar
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960s-1970s-USA-FENDER-TELECASTER-GUITAR-TELE-BRIDGE-COVER-ORIGINAL-ASHTRAY-/370991074969

And this is better than a new one you can get for £15 because....................
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    sorry,  is there some invisible ink I can't see ?   Not sure what you're saying/asking    

:)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2014

Mods, maybe move this to the cryptic threads section?! 

:-/
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    I'm guessing this is some stupidly priced studio?

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Link ammended (bit of a copy/paste faux pas there!).

Well that didn't go exactly as planned!  My Les Paul is of course worth every penny:)  The Ashtray bridge cover however.....
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    Richardj said:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960s-1970s-USA-FENDER-TELECASTER-GUITAR-TELE-BRIDGE-COVER-ORIGINAL-ASHTRAY-/370991074969

And this is better than a new one you can get for £15 because....................
    ... because if you've got a 67 Tele with no bridge cover this would enhance its value a bit; maybe not by as much as the ebay seller is asking though.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    fretfinder said:
    ... because if you've got a 67 Tele with no bridge cover this would enhance its value a bit; maybe not by as much as the ebay seller is asking though.
    Exactly. It's always the way with old parts. The price appears comical until you work out how much it affects the value of an otherwise all-original guitar.

With this one it's harder to justify though, since hardly anyone really wants them on the guitar anyway - it's just something to put in the case and say you have.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    yep,  same as the old "£400 for a single 1959 tulip tuner??" when you can get a new set for £40............ its all about keeping guitars genuine to their era
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    I know someone who paid over £1000 for an original green early-60s Strat pickguard, because the one on his '60 Strat had been hacked. For a piece of slightly warped and shrunken plastic. Worth it, to him.

I could be wrong but I think he re-sold the hacked one and got a not-insignificant amount of money for it too… which is harder to explain, but people are funny like that!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    OK, I absolutely agree that it is good to have original parts, but does it matter beyond potential resale value and do you ever recoup the outlay?  It is CBS era too so the quality probably isn't top notch anyway.  Not trying to start a vintage/modern argument, I just personally don't entirely get the reason for the crazy prices for some of these things.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    I've seen an auction for a 1959 Les Paul pickup ring hit $10,000 before.

At the time the '59 were getting over $100K so making it era correct would probably be a good investment.

Still mental, but who am I to judge what a cretin does with their money?
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    It's like anything else, it's there because there's a market for it. Tho that much cash for something people generally leave in the case is a bit much, but hey ho and all that.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • It's all relative.Some people are so rich,£10,000 is insignificant.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    You could buy a perfectly reasonable guitar for that.. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    It's all relative.Some people are so rich,£10,000 is insignificant.

Indeed.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    ICBM said:

I could be wrong but I think he re-sold the hacked one and got a not-insignificant amount of money for it too… which is harder to explain, but people are funny like that!

A guy i know had a HSS strat made by a well know relic maker.   They would only agree to go off spec and add the humbucker if he supplied an original guard already modded for a humbucker.   Just one reason someone may be after a modded original guard

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    edited January 2014
    WezV said:
    ICBM said:

A guy i know had a HSS strat made by a well know relic maker.   They would only agree to go off spec and add the humbucker if he supplied an original guard already modded for a humbucker.   Just one reason someone may be after a modded original guard

Beyond comment that one brain can't process the sheer inverted snobbery " I only make genuine fakes"
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I wonder how much the ashtray from my 73 hardtail Start is worth then?? Never been used,,, still in its bag... must be a right rare oddity...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    p90fool said:
    I have one from a '63 Strat. How the hell could I ever prove it though?
    Or how could you *disprove* it?

Experts in these things can tell whether it could possibly or could not possibly be genuine and correct for the era, that's all that matters.

If you can't tell or don't care, then it doesn't :).

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    WezV said:
    ICBM said:

Beyond comment that one brain can't process the sheer inverted snobbery " I only make genuine fakes"
    I think it was more "i want the replias i make to be as accurate as possible"