Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

MJW Amplification Taking a Break

What's Hot
martinwmartinw Frets: 2149

As mentioned in passing in another thread, and some people already know, once my current build list is finished, I am going to be putting MJW Amps on hold for a while. I've already stopped taking new orders, and have cut down the amount of repair/modding work I'm doing as well. I thought I should put this in a separate thread, so as not to hijack.

Sometime around the middle of next year I should be finished, if not a bit earlier, and at that point I intend to relocate to Scotland, somewhere in the North East. During this the business will be closed, and  will  be taking  along break (a few months at least) and there's a possibility I might not reopen. Obviously the location will be difficult for some (although make no difference to build customers who order by email) and the loss of momentum will have an effect. I may get a 'proper' job and start the business up part-time. At this stage I don't know.

I thought I'd formally announce it here first as the forum has been very supportive, and a good few past and present customers frequent here, so the word will get out. I'd like to thank those customers, and other forum users who never quite got there(!), for their support. Cheers all! ;)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10693
    Good luck mate!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    good luck with your plans Martin, although it does sound like you have  thought this through properly
  • Alright Martin, 

Good luck with the move and enjoy the time off.  
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    Good luck Martin, it will be a shame if you don't continue building amps, and I hope everything is going well for you otherwise.

With Feline Guitars coming to a point where he may not be building new guitars, because it not financially worthwhile, that is a sad state of affairs for UK made guitars and amps.  Hope it all works out for the best, and thanks again for a great deal with you recently on a fantastic Roadstar amp!
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    good luck, i am from NE Scotland originally, nice part of the world
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6136
    tFB Trader
    The best of luck for you and your family in this move Martin, 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Hope the move works out for you and makes you happy.

I've recently obtained my first MJW and I'm currently trying to do a deal to obtain my second so you could say I was a fan :)

Careful not to bump into ICBM while you are in Scotland, I'd be concerned that the combined amp knowledge could result in some kind of critical mass that would level a city.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • good luck and best wishes Martin, I remain a proud Roadstar owner and user and whilst I have my Thorpy Muffroom Cloud for extreme dirt there will always be a special place in my heart for the overdrive pedal you made me as featured in my Forum avatar ...
  • It's so difficult these days to offer a product or service at a reasonable price and still be able to sustain oneself. What a shame. All the best in your future. I really do hope to see MJW back at it again some day. 

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    In one way I'm sorry to hear it, but in another it sounds like you have decided this with care, so pleased for you too :)

Hope it all works out for you and yours

• Good luck, dude - hope it works out for you :)

I have to say, though, this is starting to seem like a trend in terms of home-grown manufacturers taking a break :(
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Good luck, dude - hope it works out for you :)

I have to say, though, this is starting to seem like a trend in terms of home-grown manufacturers taking a break :(
    It's so sad too.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    Best of luck.  If it's any consolation, i though you offered a great service  :)

All the best

Marlin
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Best wishes my friend. Scotland has lots of challenging golf courses so a move to that part of the world has its benefits. Hang onto your toolkit though....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Best of luck with your plan and hope it all works out for you
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Good luck with it all Martin. Whether you start up again or not there are a good number of your amps out there now and seem to get really good reviews. You're work is making people happy and I hope that you take a lot of pride in that. 

I hope the journey has been fun too!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    As a Scottish MJW user - Good luck with whatever you decide but i hope you keep building amps esp as you will be a bit closer
  • Martin,

I'm so sorry to hear this, but pleased for you if it means a happier and healthier life...

It just shows how hard it is in this day and age; one of our own, order books full, yet presumably a lot of effort for little return. I remember talking to Jesse Hoffs (Lazy J) and him saying how hard, lonely and pressured amp making could be...
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    All the best Martin, hope things work out exactly how you want them. I'm extremely glad I got my MJW's when I did.
  • Good luck with the move Martin...thanks for working on my amps earlier this year!