Painting a double bound Tele body question?

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3056
edited December 2016 in Making & Modding
So, next project is TV Yellow, inspired by @SteveRobinson ;;excellent tutorial on a LP Jr, from whom I have ordered Primer, Grain Filler and Yellow Tinted lacquer, the same as he used....
The intended body is in the mail and is a Tele style, mahogany, double bound by Hosco, question is, do I mask the binding, paint over it and scrape back, with a Razor/Stanley/Stanley blade, or pop a roundover bit in the router and radius the edges of the body and lose the binding? I bought the body for the mahogany and its grain rather that because it is bound.....
Gut feeling masking the binding will be PITA and cause swearing, possbly lifting paint as its peeled off...
Scraping back, probably easier, Ive done it before, but not on such a big scale....
Routing, risk of tearout, but no huge drama to do.....

Thoughts?
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    I was thinking about this and I'm not sure I'd bother masking the binding 
    I'd be tempted to lose that binding too if possible, I think if it's all tv yellow the binding adds no appeal to me and should have a round over 

I'm with you on the binding being a pita though, bad enough one side imo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader

Mask the body side, don't worry about the top edge, scrape that with new Stanley blades. It saves a crapload of work & nailbiting. 3M blue fineline in 3mm, code 471, excellent edge and tack to it. Pull before the paint's dry so the edge doesn't tear & break up. I pull as soon as I've finished, just being careful not to let any tape dangle onto the fresh paint, it's easy to forget the end while you're watching the pull like a hawk.
    Did this with the tape and that mask/scrape, there were 3 colour layers and masking each one saved masses of time & tears before bedtime :)

http://www.alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/weazel_tele/24.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3056
    I'm tempted to remove the binding and radius the edges, not sure if the heel will be an issue, will see when it arrives....or another thought just yellow the top.......leave the rest as mahogany....mmmmm....dunno....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

tFB Trader
    I think tv yellow just suits the no binding look imo

That's just me, probably looked at too many juniors I guess
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I agree!

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3919
    I clean the binding with a cloth moistened with thinners. 
    Deadman said:
    I clean the binding with a cloth moistened with thinners. 
    Really? Sounds a huge risk not to catch the bits you don't want to, not something I had considered possible, must hink about this method, any tips on how?

It's surprisingly easy. At least I thought it was. Literally dampen a cloth and hold it tightly between your thumb and index finger. Use your index finger as a guide. It took me about ten minutes to do my Les Paul and it was extremely neat. 
    Try it on some scrap if you're not sure.
    Forgot to say I masked off the body first too. I could see it as it was a light burst but it might be more difficult for a solid colour.
    Thanks! Worth considering....

Thanks for the link, really nice job!

tFB Trader
    I've cleaned with thinners too no problem
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited December 2016
    Still not sure if TV Yellow will look right with binding......and I have to do a roundover on two other tops of bodies that are being refinished anyway.......so the kit will be out.....time will tell when the body gets here...