Interesting Acoustics video thread

What's Hot

Comments

• dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    edited December 2016
    The Manzer Medusa is about as "interesting" as it gets.  The astonishing thing is that it actually sounds alright and the owner can play it!

Manzer also made the Pikasso for Pat Metheny...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lewy said:
    TimmyO said:
    Wow
    Presley would be considered a "promising" flatpicker. The standard out there is insane.
    That's the sort of thing that used to make me want to quit co "I'll never be that good in a million years" but no I simply recognise that I'll never be that good in a million years, so I might as well not bother comparing myself to that standard and just get on with being rubbish. :)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • TimmyO said:
    I've recently had my head turned by these 12 fret and deep bodied Dreadnoughts like the Roy Smeck / Stage Deluxe / Jackson Browne - I like how they seem to be a bit more of everything in a  way that evens things out for finger style without loosing the dreadnought girth...

I like that a lot.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • TimmyO said:

mgaw said:

love the sound of this guys guitars, shes quite the singer as well IMO
    Came for the guitar - stayed for the songs - she's a great singer/player/songwriter - thanks 
    Plus one for that
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited December 2016
    yeah, saw Mr Metheny @ Barbican a few yrs ago with that thing hmmm, I just like his stuff on the Ibanez - -
    he succeeds in getting away from the americo centric - geetar dude and heres another who doesn't even need to try - D'Garry plays traditional Madagascar ensemble music, reduced down to the guitar. Sublime musicianship and musicality. Note - no wacky guitars retro or squint fret stuff here - no need

heres an hour long concert if ya like this -

for the more 'out there' designers / builders' I like Michi Matsuda's work - his influence is seen elsewhere in this thread.

http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/1529-matsuda_prototype_ii_15/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8A7OeLOPQ4

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Get this thread going again...

I don't know if you've heard of this guy but he makes some really beautiful guitars. 

Joel Michaud

There's a couple of build threads on the Acoustic Guitar Forum. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    CHRISB50 said:
    Get this thread going again...

I don't know if you've heard of this guy but he makes some really beautiful guitars. 

Joel Michaud

There's a couple of build threads on the Acoustic Guitar Forum. 
    I'm trying to work out how that neck joint works but the closer I look the more it goes a bit Escher lol 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    I'm trying to work out how that neck joint works but the closer I look the more it goes a bit Escher lol 
    Tim, point me to what u'r talking about and maybe I can help - I've done some (guitar) building and have an interest in 'how they work.
    On this subject (Michaud guitars) yeah - very on trend - and heavily 'advertised' over on AGF, loadsa this kinda aesthetic over on that forum - sound and look - think Ol' wizards apprentices.

AliGorie said:
    TimmyO said:
    Tim, point me to what u'r talking about and maybe I can help - I've done some (guitar) building and have an interest in 'how they work.
    On this subject (Michaud guitars) yeah - very on trend - and heavily 'advertised' over on AGF, loadsa this kinda aesthetic over on that forum - sound and look - think Ol' wizards apprentices.

Not a fan? 

I haven't been over there for a while but most of the interest in Michaud on AGF seems to centre around that one 'Magic Tree' guitar and their fawning over Marcus Wong playing it.

The guitar he made for Marcus is beautiful, and he is a nice player, but I did find all the 'love' a bit much. Both the sales pitch from Marcus himself and the response from the community.

Joel Michaud definitely knows how to make a guitar though.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    Here's a Gallagher in Jim Hurst's hands:

Gallagher are better known for dreads but this one sounds really sweet!
    CHRISB50 said:
    Not a fan? 

'Magic Tree' guitar and their fawning over Marcus Wong playing it.

but I did find all the 'love' a bit much. Both the sales pitch from Marcus himself and the response from the community.

Not - not a fan, it's just all a bit predictable, the whole 'Somogyi school' thing or the like - get one of his apprentices just 'graduating' build u an on steroids investment and hype it up in certain places - gives then kudos they wouldn't get if they had to rely on just their music - sad really. u'll have noticed these guitars virtually NEVER gig - and if they do it's in a strictly safe setting - for videoing
    yeah I saw it refereed to as 'The Trunk'

edited December 2016
    AliGorie said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Not a fan? 

'Magic Tree' guitar and their fawning over Marcus Wong playing it.

but I did find all the 'love' a bit much. Both the sales pitch from Marcus himself and the response from the community.

Not - not a fan, it's just all a bit predictable, the whole 'Somogyi school' thing or the like - get one of his apprentices just 'graduating' build u an on steroids investment and hype it up in certain places - gives then kudos they wouldn't get if they had to rely on just their music - sad really. u'll have noticed these guitars virtually NEVER gig - and if they do it's in a strictly safe setting - for videoing
    yeah I saw it refereed to as 'The Trunk'

Not a fan then

Surely a guitar doesn't have to gig to be a good guitar? Or be supported by a famous player to make it good? 

I'll admit  it that they don't scream mojo but I don't think that is the intention. They are not only lovely sounding things but also good looking (subjective I know) as well. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Lewy said:
    Here's a Gallagher in Jim Hurst's hands:

Gallagher are better known for dreads but this one sounds really sweet!
    Nice - like his voice too

What size is that then - a small jumbo or ? 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited December 2016
    CHRISB50 said:

Surely a guitar doesn't have to gig to be a good guitar?
    I guess the demands of running a hedge fund mean the typical Somogyi owner doesn't have the opportunity to gig all that often :)
    Lewy said:
    CHRISB50 said:

I guess the demands of running a hedge fund mean the typical Somogyi owner doesn't have the opportunity to gig all that often :)
    Haha, very true! But a good guitar is still a good guitar. Wherever it is played.

CHRISB50 said:
    Lewy said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Haha, very true! But a good guitar is still a good guitar. Wherever it is played.
    Ah but if you strum a good guitar in the middle of the forest and there's no-one there to hear it, does it make a sound?

And the person doing the strumming doesn't count....they've just dropped $40k on a guitar and therefore are incapable of objectivity :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ^^ I think that's true of most owners and their guitars.