Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How do you play your A shape barre chords?

What's Hot
Do you use your ring finger to barre strings 2-4 or do you use fingers 2, 3 and 4?

I currently use my ring finger as I have particularly flexible joints and can get my ring finger out of the way of the high E string (I also play an open A chord with just ring finger) but I feel like using fingers 2, 3 and 4 would make certain changes much easier (i.e. going from a major to minor A shape)

It feels very alien though! Perhaps playing some open chords like E and A but using middle/ring/pinky rather than index/middle/ring would help? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33815
    It depends- work on making both equally achievable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I usually barre the strings 2,3,4 with my little finger and strings 1 and 5 (6) with my first finger. 
    I might use my ring finger depending in where I am coming from or going to.  I can't get the 1st string to ring with that one usually.
    Then I might use middle,ring,pinkie or even ring, middle, pinkie (think maj7 shape).

So all of them but badly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Depends on the chord shapes either side 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited December 2016
    I use both, if I want a strong power chord type sound I use index finger on 5 and ring finger to barre 4,3,2. If I want a chimey clean chord I will put index finger on 1 and the rest of the fingers on 2,3,4.

For open A I usually barre with index finger, although if I need to let all 5 strings ring out I use fingers 1,2,3 (but almost never 2,3,4)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Aye, totally depends on where the chord falls in context to what's either side of it and where I might need my fingers to go next. But if I can, I'll always bar those three strings with my ring finger. If I want to go to a sus2 or 7th chord, I pivot my ring finger so the tip stays on the D string but clears the G and B strings and leaves my pinky and middle finger free to fret whatever is necessary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks chaps. All makes sense!
  • Open A - 2, 3, 4

Barre chord - 3 which I can get to stay out of the way of the high E.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Leave out the root and use one finger. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I generally use little finger rather than ring finger (even on acoustic guitar), because I dislocated my ring finger years ago and it is not comfortable for me. This has the advantage that ring finger can be employed for mischief such as sliding up to the major third on the A string.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1385
    Leave out the root and use one finger. 
    ...and do the Keef sus4 thing (I think that's what it is, my theory is weak but my chops are large and powerful)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    edited December 2016
    Yes. Although I think you can also look at that second shape as a second major chord, so A to D for example( I think). In a band context I'm often quite happy with the one finger approach. I used to play the Tequila riff, just to give a well known example, like that. Once the bassist comes in the root is a redundant note.
    bbill335 said:
    Leave out the root and use one finger. 
    ...and do the Keef sus4 thing (I think that's what it is, my theory is weak but my chops are large and powerful)

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I bar with either the ring (or pinky) finger and don't sound the high E string.
    I could probably squeeze 2, 3 and 4 in there if it was essential, but I haven't needed to yet.
  • Open A with index finger. Barre with ring finger. I occasionally thumb-over if I want a fifth-below the root.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Not much to add to the above, but an alternate voicing you can do is the barre form of: 002225, ie playing the top root note on the top E string rather than the 5th of the chord. Its fine for the upper end of the fretboard, and the open position, obviously depending on how big your hands are you might find it impossible in certain positions. I can do it from about the 3rd fret upwards but that's probably from years of bass playing and being used to making large spans with my left hand.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8740
    Cirrus said:
    ..., totally depends on where the chord falls in context to what's either side of it and where I might need my fingers to go next.
    This.

Each fingering has its purpose. I tend to use fingers 2, 3 & 4 rather than 1, 2 & 3 in the open position, partly because my fingers fit better, and party because I can then barre the shape further up the neck without thinking. 

Often when playing the A shape in other positions as a passing chord I'll just use one finger to barre the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings, and mute the others. If I want the sound to ring out I'll use finger tips and add vibrato.
    paul_c2 said:
    ... an alternate voicing you can do is the barre form of: 002225, 
    I prefer 002255 because then top A sounds less shrill and out on its own.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Roland said:
    Cirrus said:
    ..., totally depends on where the chord falls in context to what's either side of it and where I might need my fingers to go next.
    This.

Each fingering has its purpose. I tend to use fingers 2, 3 & 4 rather than 1, 2 & 3 in the open position, partly because my fingers fit better, and party because I can then barre the shape further up the neck without thinking. 

Often when playing the A shape in other positions as a passing chord I'll just use one finger to barre the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings, and mute the others. If I want the sound to ring out I'll use finger tips and add vibrato.
    paul_c2 said:
    ... an alternate voicing you can do is the barre form of: 002225, 
    I prefer 002255 because then top A sounds less shrill and out on its own.
    Interestingly, 002255 doesn't have a 3rd in it, so its not strictly (a voicing of a) triad, but a "power chord" or A5 or whatever you want to name the notes E and A played together.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    Index finger and small finger.
    Never got it to sound right with my ring finger.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited December 2016
    I used to use Index and Ring but swapped to Index and Pinky.

It took a few months to make the change but I find there's less tension in fretting hand and it frees the Ring finger to move faster into fretting little single note runs/bends.
  • vizviz Frets: 10709
    I often use 1st inversion, so for C that would be x7555x, barring with my index, and using my middle on the A-string. Basically a G-shape chord.  
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I use my ring finger as a "mini barre" for regular major chords. Minor and dominant on major 7th get me using a combination of middle, ring and pinky fingers.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi