Victory V10 The Baron

What's Hot
fandangofandango Frets: 2204
Any recent experience with these British-made amps? Any thoughts on gigging potential? Or is this seen as a vanity purchase for the living room?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited December 2016
    I haven't tried one but have read that The Baron needs to be turned up quite loud to sound it's best so It may not be a living room amp

I have a V40 and it has attenuated power reduced modes but also sounds best turned up

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    guitar speakers sound best turned up....

would work for very small gigs, like a Sunday church service, spec doesn't say which creamback speaker is fitted, if it is one of the 97dB then you could upgrade the speaker to get more headroom/volume

expensive for what it is.
  • It's fitted with a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5161

Victory did offer a recall/free upgrade offer to the speaker as it was deemed to sound pants at lower volume..checkout Capt'n and t'other fella in the link  :)
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    tone1 said:

Victory did offer a recall/free upgrade offer to the speaker as it was deemed to sound pants at lower volume..checkout Capt'n and t'other fella in the link  :)
    Watched the Anderton's vid ages ago. It's a couple of years old now so doesn't really answer the question of recent. My gigging & living room questions were to tap into real world personal experience.

Anyway, to say it "sounds pants at lower volume" serves to misrepresent the Anderton's point of view on the original speaker choice of the V30. I thought they came up with a very good critique. Victory listened, and hey presto, the British company then acted and changed the spec. But talk of the V30 focuses on the past not the present.

So still hoping someone out there has some personal experience (other than 30 minutes noodling at Andertons).

Anybody actually bought one? Or borrowed one and gigged with it?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    You're asking people on an internet forum for real life experience?
    You'll be lucky.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    I built a 10w amp for a friend, he gigs with it allot, indoor outdoor, gets mic'd up allot, but if you wanted a gigging amp then 10w is not really enough to cover all venues, it will seem loud in your living room, but with a heavy drummer and no mic on your amp, you will battle for clean headroom
  • I have played one twice for about 30 mins each time.
    First time was when they came out and went to the shop wanting to buy one. Just remember being very underwhelmed at lower volumes, and not really liking the driven sound. Ended up buying a King Snake (very very different).
    2nd time was about 10 months ago or so, new speaker etc so though I would give it another go, very similar experience. It did start to sound a lot better giving the volume a twist in the right direction, but could not crank it in Andertons, so could not comment on gigging volumes
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Many thanks for all your comments.