Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SRV Live at El Mocambo BEST live performance ever???

What's Hot
benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
excuse flamboyant title but I've had this dvd for years now and always enjoyed it. just recently I've got really, REALLY into it. I enjoy blues but I'm mainly an indie guy. theres just something about this performance that just hooks me EVERY single time. i don't think theres a bad note on it. whilst SRV is obviously applauded i really don't think he gets anywhere near the adulation he deserves, definitely nowhere near clapton who for me he just blows away in terms of feel, tone, dress sense ;-)

for anyone who isn't necessarily into "the blues" please please please give this performance a listen. even if its just texas flood, which in its self a lesson on how to fucking destroy and audience by getting the very most out of one lick

How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Texas Flood at El Mocambo blows my mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    No, no it's not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • No, no it's not.
    aghast!!!! ;-)
    How very rock and roll
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 357
    T'is great, but I am sure there are others up there with it.

Top of my head.

or

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• I love that SRV show… blew my mind when I saw it on VHS :-)
  • Oooh yeah completely agree on that led zep clip. Page get some superb sounds out of that tele on that performance
    How very rock and roll
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Love the El Mocambo DVD but I think the Lorelei gig may shade it as an all-round entertainment package

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I havent watched the el mocambo gig for a great many years now as my copy is VHS! I wouldn't call it best live performance ever, but it is one of a great many worthy gigs.
  • TPReggieTPReggie Frets: 22
    edited January 2014
    El Mocambo is definately up there as one of the greatest ever. I think if you put it in the nutshell of the Blues, nothing can touch it, however when putting in the grand scheme of ALL genres of music, there are definately some other contenders to challenge it as some guys have put forward already. 

As far as WYNIRO's suggestions are concerned, I would probably replace the Queen Live Aid with the Queen '86 show at Wembley - that to me is Queen's greatest live show (recorded anyway.) 

Sorry, can't figure out how to put a video in here - so link below. 

EDIT: Either someone fixed my post or I did it right, lol. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    we did some godawful management training thing where we had to talk about great performances and Queen at Live Aid seem to win this ( over any tv or film acting performance or any other televised gig in history basically). So, I now associate that performance with talking cobblers in a training room.
    :(
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    I've always loved the El Mocambo gig... fearless in attack throughout.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited January 2014
    I do like SRV, and the El Mocambo is a great - best ever ?  dunno.

Im no Queen fan,  at all - in any shape or form,  but the their (well Freddies) set at Wembley   blew me away..........still dont like the music, but the sheer presence of the performance was astounding
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • "Lenny" from El Mocambo is outstanding. Despite being a lifelong anti smoker, I just love the part at the beginning when he's playing and smoking his ciggy at the same time. It's so atmospheric.
  • i should maybe point out i was only semi kidding with the best ever tag. i just been absolutely loving that dvd at the mo and am just completely in awe of him right now (and his fucking tone is SENSATIONAL throughout!!!)

i wasn't really suggesting it was best performance ever, more gushing fan boy than anything else! ;-)

controversial opinion whilst i do genuinely enjoy queen i really don't get the amount of adulation they get for their "spectacle" shows. I'm not knocking them at all. i think i just prefer smaller intimate gigs to the huge spectacle things!
    How very rock and roll
  • I think the best show ever committed to video is Peter Gabriel - Growing Up live. Not only does it sound amazing, but the actual stage show is just epic. Best DVD i've ever bought.

Not to be controversial, but I never thought Queen were as good live as on record. The showmanship is obviously brilliant, however to recreate the detail of the recorded stuff is impossible. I'd even go so far as to say Freddie definitely pulls out from singing certain high notes live. I'm basing this on the Wembley show and will admit I probably would have loved it had I been there. 

Brian May is one of my favourite players without doubt, he's a creative genius :-)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Not to be controversial, but I never thought Queen were as good live as on record. The showmanship is obviously brilliant, however to recreate the detail of the recorded stuff is impossible. I'd even go so far as to say Freddie definitely pulls out from singing certain high notes live. I'm basing this on the Wembley show and will admit I probably would have loved it had I been there. 

I tend to reference Queen as one of the most dissapointing bands I ever saw live (although a long way off worst in terms of performance).Still, long time ago now I suppose but it was a bit on the bland side.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited January 2014

Not to be controversial, but I never thought Queen were as good live as on record. The showmanship is obviously brilliant, however to recreate the detail of the recorded stuff is impossible. I
    I never understand that point of view,  for a "rock band" you go to see a live show,  for a show -  to get swept up in the pomp, not to listen to 'recorded quality performance'  surely ?
  • bertie said:

Not to be controversial, but I never thought Queen were as good live as on record. The showmanship is obviously brilliant, however to recreate the detail of the recorded stuff is impossible. I
    I never understand that point of view,  for a "rock band" you go to see a live show,  for a show -  to get swept up in the pomp, not to listen to 'recorded quality performance'  surely ?
    That's why I said I'd probably have enjoyed it if there, but watching a dvd just leaves me wanting.

The SRV El Mocambo show is the opposite though, I think live he sounded far better than his studio recordings.
    he was better "off his face"  also.   I think its the  style of his music which is much more of a live thing, its a "join in" vibe rather than a sit down and listen, that benefits from studio production techniques
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Highly enjoyable and still quite far from the best gig ever.