Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Mandy Boylett, obviously Yes, I saw it first on C4 but it has explained the world to me and it is damn catchy too.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Stop crying, start buying
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I finally cracked and bought the new Dream Theater album.

Some great stuff on there. The guitar playing on the intro to A Savior in the Square is pretty. :P 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Been listening to that this morning on my phone. It's brilliant. I've never heard Dream Theater but they are really interesting. Quite complex stuff... very... eh... orchestral? I dunno how to describe it, but it's cool. I was expecting thrash metal.

One more listen then it goes on my ever growing "to buy" list.

Andy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Poorly motivated today so messing around on Google Play. Anyway, Messer Chups. Might get a bit samey after a while but a Russian surf band mixing in samples from horror movies. All quite kitsch but I like it. Random track off YouTube with @viz guesting on drums
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Nice song! Though it's not me it's our drummer!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Nice song! Though it's not me it's our drummer!
    Ahh, another from your flange.  :(|)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    andyp said:
    Been listening to that this morning on my phone. It's brilliant. I've never heard Dream Theater but they are really interesting. Quite complex stuff... very... eh... orchestral? I dunno how to describe it, but it's cool. I was expecting thrash metal.

One more listen then it goes on my ever growing "to buy" list.

Andy
    Hey Andy... not all of their stuff is like this. 

Some of their stuff is darker and heavier, like the Train of Thought album. 

Some of it is in-betweenish like the Octavarium album.

Some of it is a bit "lighter" e.g. the A Dramatic Turn of Events album. 

Some is similar though, for example Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Scenes From a Memory.

Very varied and talented though.

Avoid: very first album. Different singer. It's pants. :) 
    Some people complain about: anything from A Dramatic Turn of Events onwards (new drummer, therefore a key songwriter gone) but I think they're wrong to whinge. ;)

Good luck.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Thanks, good to hear that. :)

Loved their new album today. Really impressed by them, can't believe I hadn't heard them before.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
  • mike_l said:
    I got this DVD and remembered how awesomes WASP are, and Chris Holmes (despite his drink and drugs problems) is vastly underrated as a guitarist.

is this ironic or real?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Slowhand - despite being a Clapton fanboy, I've never owned this album until the other day when I picked up a copy in HMV for a fiver.

Some good tracks on it, but also a surprising amount of filler. Also, EC's guitar does sometimes sound a bit 'wasp in a Coke can' - he seems to get the Strat working better for him on other albums. 

So, overall a bit of a mixed bag. Glad I've got myself a copy but also glad I didn't pay a tenner for it.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    HAL9000;993388" said:
    Slowhand - despite being a Clapton fanboy, I've never owned this album until the other day when I picked up a copy in HMV for a fiver.

Some good tracks on it, but also a surprising amount of filler. Also, EC's guitar does sometimes sound a bit 'wasp in a Coke can' - he seems to get the Strat working better for him on other albums. 

So, overall a bit of a mixed bag. Glad I've got myself a copy but also glad I didn't pay a tenner for it.
    One of my least favourites from his '70s catologue. Yet in terms of making Blackie an icon - perhaps the most important. And it features Cocaine which remains a defining Clapton song (I know it's a cover - but the song is inextricably linked to EC).

The album before (No Reason To Cry) is probably my favourite EC record from the '70s. It's worth buying just for the solo on Double Trouble, if you haven't already got it.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    I've listened quite a bit this weekend to the recent DIIV - Is the Is Are. They pick out some really nice guitar lines and make good use of swirly delays and reverbs if that's your sort of thing. However the song that has really grabbed my attention in the last week or so is this (even although it's a couple of years old).

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    I'm having a Big Wreck moment. :) I do love them, along with many other forum members here.

Ghosts is playing right now for me. That bass line in the interlude/second verse is sick.

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    this...

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    samzadgan said:
    this...

Thats rad - I like.
    Cut by The Slits. I may have posted this every couple of weeks. To my ears probably the most inventive band of the punk/post punk era. Dennis Bovell 's production means it still stands up as a listening experience, just a few hints of his background in reggae. The drummer is Budgie who is outstanding on this but the whole band had an approach that just stood out from punk and anticipated a lot of indie music.