Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does anyone gig a Marshall JTM45

What's Hot

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Nerine said:
    Having owned a few of each, I can attest to this completely. 100% accurate throughout. Couldn't have put it better myself. 
    I have to admit, I got a good laugh from the amount of shit you got back in the day on harmony central for saying that. It makes sense though - I mean, it's basically a 30 watt amp, right? Usually ran through 97db/w speakers, and voiced with lots of headroom eating low end. Given that, I'd be surprised if an AC30 couldn't drown it out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72324
    Being in a band where the guitarist has used most of these amps at some time, and a couple more - all head versions through the same or very similar 2x12" cabs, with either two 100dB Celestions or one 100 and one 97 - the JTM45 is the least loud. The AC30 is very slightly louder, and the Orange Rocker 30 slightly louder again, although these are all in the same ballpark. The Marshall 2204 is quite a lot louder, the Jet City JCA50 is about the same at that, the Dual Rec and the Soldano SLO area lot louder, and the Marshall Super Lead is ridiculously so - difficult to use without attenuation, partly because of the volume and partly because it's very touchy unless it's cranked to the point the power stage starts to overdrive.

All these compared with the same drummer and usually the same bass amp, so I think it's reasonably fair. The ones that were the hardest to work with were the JTM45 because it was too mushy and didn't really cut through, and the Super Lead because it was so over-the-top. Which is not a reflection on Marshall in general, just those two really - the 2204 was great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    ICBM said:
    Being in a band where the guitarist has used most of these amps at some time, and a couple more - all head versions through the same or very similar 2x12" cabs, with either two 100dB Celestions or one 100 and one 97 - the JTM45 is the least loud. The AC30 is very slightly louder, and the Orange Rocker 30 slightly louder again, although these are all in the same ballpark. The Marshall 2204 is quite a lot louder, the Jet City JCA50 is about the same at that, the Dual Rec and the Soldano SLO area lot louder, and the Marshall Super Lead is ridiculously so - difficult to use without attenuation, partly because of the volume and partly because it's very touchy unless it's cranked to the point the power stage starts to overdrive.

All these compared with the same drummer and usually the same bass amp, so I think it's reasonably fair. The ones that were the hardest to work with were the JTM45 because it was too mushy and didn't really cut through, and the Super Lead because it was so over-the-top. Which is not a reflection on Marshall in general, just those two really - the 2204 was great.
    @ICBM I know you have said the JTM45 is mushy and doesn't cut through. Is this mushy in comparison to a 18 watt 5e3 or compared to a super lead? 

The reason I ask is I am hoping to get more cut through than I currently have.
    shaunm said:
    @ICBM I know you have said the JTM45 is mushy and doesn't cut through. Is this mushy in comparison to a 18 watt 5e3 or compared to a super lead? 

The reason I ask is I am hoping to get more cut through than I currently have.
    Mushy compared to a Super Lead! In a fairly loud band where the guitarist uses a lot of fuzz and heavy distortion.

It's still a lot punchier and louder than an 18W or 5E3.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    From what I recall the JTM45 does not have the same high mid content, which is the cut your ears pick up easily, it has more deep lows compared to the later JMP bright channels too. All this means less cut compared to 70's non master Marshall's  but probably still more cut than the 18w and deluxe type circuits as you have more control over the tone shaping.

it is easily changed by someone who knows what they doing, but straight out the gates it might just not be the amp you are after. you really have to try one at gigging volume if you can.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    As I mentioned, the JTM45 I had was very bottom end heavy.  It was one of the reasons I swapped it.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Ah, any of you fellows got any suggestions of alternatives I could look at?
    Voxman said:
    As I mentioned, the JTM45 I had was very bottom end heavy.  It was one of the reasons I swapped it.  
    That's what I like about them. They're the only vintage Marshall where I don't need to have the bass control on full all the time just to get sort-of enough.

• NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    The upside is that in terms of taking pedals, they're probably the best Marshall as it seems to tame a lot of the fizz that you can get from some lesser pedals. 

Its a giggable amp for sure. Sounded epic with a Bogner Red up it. Much better than the '59 Bassman RI I had. 

That Fender was a loud amp. Very punchy and not quite as brown as I'd hoped actually. And also very awkward to attenuate because of how the speakers were connected. 
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Fender Bassman LTD.

You won't need anything else.

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

shugz said:
    Fender Bassman LTD.

Cheers 
    Hugh
    I have always been interested in these but they might be a little bit too clean for me and the current band? 

Hugh do you use any attenuation on your Park? That's non mv isn't it and basically a 1987x. We you way way too loud at gigs?
    Nerine said:

That Fender was a loud amp. Very punchy and not quite as brown as I'd hoped actually. And also very awkward to attenuate because of how the speakers were connected. 
    Did it have the stock solid-state rectifier plug-in, or a valve? That makes a big difference with them.

ICBM said:
    Nerine said:

Did it have the stock solid-state rectifier plug-in, or a valve? That makes a big difference with them.
    What are the changes if you go valve?
    edited December 2016
    shaunm said:

What are the changes if you go valve?
    Lower headroom, earlier breakup, more compression and a slightly thicker tone.

For the biggest change you actually want the worst quality rectifier valve you can find :). (Sovtek, for these.)

You should re-bias too, or the power valves will be running cooler.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    shaunm said:
    shugz said:
    Fender Bassman LTD.

Cheers 
    Hugh
    I have always been interested in these but they might be a little bit too clean for me and the current band? 

Hugh do you use any attenuation on your Park? That's non mv isn't it and basically a 1987x. We you way way too loud at gigs?
    You need to try a TWEED (or at least Tweed derived reissue) Bassman. Nothing too clean about those amps :) When you get to Silverface ones then yes it's a bit more hifi but the JTM was a Bassman give or take (and yes, I know there were differences).

I play loud, I always have, never used attenuation and never will. I don't really care for 'too loud'. What is that? Always wondered why folk want a polite sound, give it stacks dear boy, we have a long time to be quiet....

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    shaunm said:
    You posted this in another thread about favorite tones, so I would say go for the 1987 if looking at new amps, or get someone to build you a JTM 50w type amp.

Have a read through this
    https://legendarytones.com/eric-clapton-appreciation-early-years/

In your first post you wanted more volume and less compression, another post you describe your tone as Classic rock 60/70 and another post you want more cut, so if that's what you want then a 1987/jtm50 the with a rockcrusher attenuator would be ace.
    use the bright input for more cut, use the normal input for more bass content and warmer tone.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    I love JTM45 Cleans, I use them as the perfect pedal platform to demo my pedals. Genuinely a fantastic sonic bedrock that crunches up nicely but with enough headroom to showcase my pedals. Thoroughly recommended and surprisingly versatile!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    shaunm said:
    You posted this in another thread about favorite tones, so I would say go for the 1987 if looking at new amps, or get someone to build you a JTM 50w type amp.

Have a read through this

In your first post you wanted more volume and less compression, another post you describe your tone as Classic rock 60/70 and another post you want more cut, so if that's what you want then a 1987/jtm50 the with a rockcrusher attenuator would be ace.
    use the bright input for more cut, use the normal input for more bass content and warmer tone.

I do think that the 1987x would be brilliant it's just the volume that stops me. I play in pubs and small to medium clubs and over the coming year some festivals (smaller tents). From what I have been told the 1987x is a bit of a beast volume wise. 

Tone me wise the 1959 slp up full is my all time favourite sound but I am almost positive that I would not get to use one at any stage that I play.
    A 1987x with a parallel dummy load into a 2x12" with 97dB speakers won't be that loud.

You can also get away with fitting them with 6V6s if you use decent ones. That will drop the power to around 25W even without attenuation.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    shaunm said:
    shaunm said:

Have a read through this

I do think that the 1987x would be brilliant it's just the volume that stops me. I play in pubs and small to medium clubs and over the coming year some festivals (smaller tents). From what I have been told the 1987x is a bit of a beast volume wise. 

Tone me wise the 1959 slp up full is my all time favourite sound but I am almost positive that I would not get to use one at any stage that I play.
    Something I wish I had learned/listened to earlier in my playing life was that big amps are awesome, and if volume is an issue then find an attenuator that you like and be done with it. I had a great time with a JCM800 having adopted this approach.

A JTM45 will be my next amp purchase (although not imminently) and this is the reason I haven't flogged my attenuators. 
    Red ones are better.