Custom Made Cabs: Advice Needed...

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9586
So, i thought this would be easy, but appears not to be the case...

I want a 1x12, or maybe a 2x12, for my incoming Redplate. Needs to match cosmetically.

Are Zilla the only option ?

Also, do I go Vintage 30 (1x12) or mixed speakers in a 2x12 ?

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/IMG_0012_1.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hoffnine cabs in Scotland. He makes excellent cabs and he's a good guy.
  • IIRC a couple of forum members have bought from Roadkill http://www.roadkillcabs.co.uk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    So, i thought this would be easy, but appears not to be the case...

I want a 1x12, or maybe a 2x12, for my incoming Redplate. Needs to match cosmetically.

Are Zilla the only option ?

Also, do I go Vintage 30 (1x12) or mixed speakers in a 2x12 ?

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/IMG_0012_1.jpg
    Go 2x12 because your jeans are meant to flap
  • Ah, good point... i need to buy some flappy jeans too ! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Ah, good point... i need to buy some flappy jeans too ! 
    I assumed this was the reason that new, trendy hipster bands wear skinny jeans is because they play 1x12 combos and don't have to worry about "the flap". 

I was looking at Zilla cabs last night. The 2x12 fat boy was what I was looking at as a match for a JTM45.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Love Zilla cabs but Roadkill and Hoffnine are also supposed to be very good. 

On the speaker front I moved to creambacks this year and I'm very impressed with them. 
  • I'm currently also shopping for a cab, most likely vertical 2x12.

One difference I notice between Zilla and Roadkill is that for a similar price the cabs are made from 15mm and 18mm ply respectively.  (The Zilla Panhead is 18mm but significantly more pricey.)

How much does that matter?
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I have a fatbaby from zilla and just ordered a 2x12 from them in custom dimensions.

I didn't want the foot print any bigger than the Fatbaby but not as tall as a vertical 2x12, so I think it's 620mm tall but I left it up to Paul to go with what he believed would sound best.

None of my cabs will match my heads though colour wise.
  • DanR said:
    I have a fatbaby from zilla and just ordered a 2x12 from them in custom dimensions.

I didn't want the foot print any bigger than the Fatbaby but not as tall as a vertical 2x12, so I think it's 620mm tall but I left it up to Paul to go with what he believed would sound best.

None of my cabs will match my heads though colour wise.
    Dan, whats the delivery time mate ?
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    edited December 2016
    @Wazmeister it's due on Thursday.

I also went for the 3 piece back so I can split between open and closed back.

Edit.

Reading it back I'm guessing you mean Zillas turnaround not when I'm getting mine.

Its generally upto two weeks from order placement but mines took just over a week.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited December 2016
    Zilla cabs are most excellent. I bought my vertical 2x12 coming on for three years ago. Three piece back was a must have even if I do always use it fully closed. I did change the Creamback H's for M's though which was a massive improvement for me.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    EV and  a Gold or Red Fang. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    I'm currently also shopping for a cab, most likely vertical 2x12.

One difference I notice between Zilla and Roadkill is that for a similar price the cabs are made from 15mm and 18mm ply respectively.  (The Zilla Panhead is 18mm but significantly more pricey.)

Not sure it matters at all, or at least that much. I have a vague recollection of @jpfamps at one point (I think it was him, apologies if it wasn't) saying that the thickness of ply was picked because of how easy it was to work rather than any other reason. But as i said, i might be misremembering.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Dave_Mc said:

Not sure it matters at all, or at least that much. I have a vague recollection of @jpfamps at one point (I think it was him, apologies if it wasn't) saying that the thickness of ply was picked because of how easy it was to work rather than any other reason. But as i said, i might be misremembering.

That was if you aren't using finger joints.

A lot of manufactures use a rabatted butt joint, and glue and stable the wood together. 18 mm ply is a bigger target for a staple that 15 mm, so assembly is easier ie cheaper.

Ply wood, for some reason, is expensive in the UK, so the extra thickness will be more expensive.

In the US for example 18 mm ply is cheaper so it economically it makes sense to use 18 mm ply and a cheaper construction method.

Often if a manufacturer makes a point of using 18 mm ply they are actually doing this to save money!

Regardless, an 18 mm ply cab will be less resonant than a 15 mm ply, and will probably have better bass response. This may be good, bad or indifferent depending on what sound you are going for.

What you can guarantee is that there will a weight penalty for using 18 mm ply.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Nobody fancy a project? All the hard work is done. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/69188/anyone-want-a-project-unfinished-2x12-speaker-cab#latest

And if you want a testimonial regarding the sound of the cab ask any if the guys who've been to the Nottingham Amp Demo days. Put decent drivers in it and it'll match a 4x12. 
  • wont mjw make a cab?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • MJW is no longer taking orders ?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    jpfamps said:
    Dave_Mc said:

That was if you aren't using finger joints.

A lot of manufactures use a rabatted butt joint, and glue and stable the wood together. 18 mm ply is a bigger target for a staple that 15 mm, so assembly is easier ie cheaper.

Ply wood, for some reason, is expensive in the UK, so the extra thickness will be more expensive.

In the US for example 18 mm ply is cheaper so it economically it makes sense to use 18 mm ply and a cheaper construction method.

Often if a manufacturer makes a point of using 18 mm ply they are actually doing this to save money!

Regardless, an 18 mm ply cab will be less resonant than a 15 mm ply, and will probably have better bass response. This may be good, bad or indifferent depending on what sound you are going for.

What you can guarantee is that there will a weight penalty for using 18 mm ply.
    Thanks, I guess I remembered an over-simplified version of that :s That's pretty interesting. :)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Its a shame you are worried about the cream vinyl... as these are brilliant, sound superb and are actually lightweight.

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/montage-guitar-cabinets-montage-1-x-12-guitar-cabinets-c-105_143.html?zenid=51caa5693d58bc93c71d0c9bcc7fe132

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.