More Les Paul questions

vizviz Frets: 10700
edited January 2014 in Guitar
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    One can only give generalisations (or should that be generalizations with them being 'merican sales) of Gibsons 70s guitars.
    Weight - From that era thay may well be on the heavy side (no mention in either listing) which can produce a nice tight bottom for overdriven sounds. But if you have a dodgy back.....
    The custom will have that exotic fingerboard timber, are the yanks exporting it readilly and do you need certificates (idk, it's just a question).
    Neither are in original state so premium prices are not to be expected. I quite like Norlin era guitars and the deluxe would be my personal choice. Don't forget to add the import costs!!!!

• vizviz Frets: 10700
    Hey cheers dude, so the price doesn't seem outlandish? I'm (as ever) not ready to buy yet, but 1.6-2K gbp doesn't seem over the top for a 35 year old icon, does it?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72441
    edited January 2014
    The Custom will weigh a ton, and has the late-70s/early-80s maple neck so it won't sound like a 'classic' Les Paul - ie a '59-style Standard - I like the sound, but not everyone does. Powerful and ringing with a tight low-end, as ESBlonde says. It also has the sharp cutaway horn which is typical of the era and which I think spoils the look of them - if you're sensitive to this sort of thing it will bug you eventually. I also don't like the finish but that's very much personal taste :) It's *very* "late 70s" though!

I would avoid the Deluxe. It's been routed badly (the bridge pickup is squint), I'm suspicious about the finish (too shiny, the back in particular looks too fresh and the edges don't correspond to the condition of the headstock… and there may be a good reason it's less "clownburst" than normal for this era) and it has a very steep neck angle which is not a good sign for playability - notice how extremely high the bridge is, and that extra height wheels have been fitted tight to the body to stop the posts bending forward, which is a fairly common problem.

Also remember that you will most likely have to pay UK import duty on either of those, unless you try to cheat (which is risky) so they'll cost more than those prices… and they're not cheap anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DEluxes come up for less than that here. Bide your time.
    Wow @Icbm it's a minefield isn't it? I hadn't spotted the skew pickup or the steep angle at all! Nor the 70s cutaway (which actually doesn't offend me yet, but I guess it might). On second viewing though, the tobacco burst is actually quite gross, I think the deluxe's colour is much better, though as you say, a bit newish, a bit suspicious. And thanks @lustycourtier, yes I'm going to wait a bit. :) 
  • My 72 was £1400 in 2011. Mint (ish) GT one with orig case etc too. Unless I missed the memo, they havent rocketed up in value.

Can I have it please.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    Looking again at the deluxe, the bridge has had notches cut under the top adjustment wheels? The neck set looks parallel to the body so OK. (has it been reset and is that why it's been refinised).

A bit odd all round. Plenty of questions and too many for a blind import.