AC30 Butt hurt

Would any of you technically minded experts know why this weirdness is happening?

I turn on the amp and often there is no sound. If I put up the pre amp normal  volume to max you can here a tiny signal coming through and then all of sudden the it sometimes comes on full volume and then all is well while i'm playing. Until next time. It happens most times I turn it on.

I just revalved the whole amp with JJs but exactly the same thing happens.
Before I take it into a tech, any ideas of what it could be?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    I've had something similar with my 5E3 self build, and the cure was spraying contact cleaner into all of the valve holder bases. Just a bad contact - doesn't do it any more.
  • Hmm - good tip thank you I'll try that...
  • PSRPSR Frets: 1
    Often get the same thing from a worn pot. 

PSR

I just call it as I see it.
  • PSR said:
    Often get the same thing from a worn pot. 

Would switch cleaner help there too... if it's just dust and general crap?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Which model of AC30?

It does sound like a bad contact somewhere in the signal path, but it would be useful to know which model to try to work out where it might be, as some of them are quite different.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Hey ICBM!
    Its the Custom Classic CC2 - the one from 2005 with alnico blues
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    OK… if it affects both channels it has to be something from the FX loop/reverb/master volume area or later.

Does it do it if the FX loop is bypassed?

When it's 'quiet', can you hear any hiss through the speakers, or does that only come on when it's 'working'?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Another simple thing to look at, on the CC2 there are a number of ribbon cable connectors between the controls on the top plate and the main board which are in the signal path, it is worth just taking them in and out, in case it is a bad connection. Also you don't make mention of the top boost input - is that working OK or the same as the normal input?  
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Int' bad connection in the speaker circuit?

Dave.

• How long is it before the sound starts?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Ah, if it's a CC my first check would be the FX loop bypass slider switch. ICBM is on point. Again. I had this happen to mine once.

Of course, it could be something totally different, but it's a start.
  • I had an issue with the channel blend switch. I swapped it out ( a bit of a pain in the arse) now works fine. Wiggle the switch and the jack sockets around a bit, see if it's that.
  • Mine was an AC30CC1
  • Hi guys I think it was the fx switch bypass I gave it a good wiggle and contact cleaner squirt! Thanks chaps!