Racks & Things

MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
I'm thinking about a new amp, not something I've done for a few years, and I'm wondering about the rack mounted route.  It seems these days, modelling is the trend - is rack mounted stuff out of fashion?  If I wanted a decent basic gigging setup, what would I be looking for?
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Depends what you're playing. I'm using a Laney IRT Studio with a Digitech GSP1101 for home recording but it would be fine as a covers gigging setup IMHO. I can get a hell of a lot of different sounds from it and it's extremely portable.
    The GSP1101 is connected using the 4 cable method and I can use either the Laney's preamp or the GSP's sims. I can also put the GSP's overdrives in front of the Laneys preamps etc.
    All in all a lot of flexibility for not much cash (bought used).
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    edited December 2016
    Depends on the music you're playing. R&R do the SOLO, which is an SLO-inspired two-channel 50W valve amp in a 1U rack space, and sounds ace for heavy stuff. Weighs about 5kg.

Then AMT are soon to be coming out with the Stonehead SH-100R, which is a 100W version of their 4-channel Stonehead amp in a 1U rack space. Again, it's super light.

The problem I've found with rack gear is that it very quickly goes from "Yeah, this is pretty easy to carry" to "ARGH, OMFG MY BACK'S GONE!". A rack preamp (eg ADA MP-1), power amp (eg Marshall 20/20) and a couple of effects units can go well over 20kg even though the individual bits are reasonably lightweight.
    <space for hire>
  • Depends on the music you're playing. R&R do the SOLO, which is an SLO-inspired two-channel 50W valve amp in a 1U rack space, and sounds ace for heavy stuff. Weighs about 5kg.

Then AMT are soon to be coming out with the Stonehead SH-100R, which is a 100W version of their 4-channel Stonehead amp in a 1U rack space. Again, it's super light.

The problem I've found with rack gear is that it very quickly goes from "Yeah, this is pretty easy to carry" to "ARGH, OMFG MY BACK'S GONE!". A rack preamp (eg ADA MP-1), power amp (eg Marshall 20/20) and a couple of effects units can go well over 20kg even though the individual bits are reasonably lightweight.
    One advantage of modelling gear is it's relatively light weight. 

I have an Eleven Rack which is a 2U flight cased multi fx jobby with a Rocktron power amp (1u) and it's my lightweight back up option. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.