Martin D35 - Advice Please..

IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
in Acoustics tFB Trader
I've just spied a very roadworn 1973 Martin D35. 

I don't really know much about Martin acoustics at all really. Without trying (but failing!) not to sound like a knob now, I played Johnny Cash's D35 in the studio earlier this year and I loved it. That classic country sound that i'm after.

If all goes to plan, I'll be trying it Tuesday.

I just wondered if there were any years that should be avoided or when/if Martin had a duff period? Anything to be weary of on a vintage Martin?

Cheers!

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
(formerly miserneil)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited December 2016
    I've seen the one I suspect you're referring to on Facebook & Twitter today - it's described as 'player' grade - so it sounds like it may have had some repairs. Cracks in the top between the bridge & scratchplate are common (though not a concern if properly repairs).

I believe there was a period when the bridges were wrongly positioned - causing intonation issues - so check that. From memory - I'm pretty sure it was a 70s issue.

Martins generally seem more prone to needing neck resets than other brands - check that the saddle isn't unusually low to compensate. This is a temporary cure and robs the guitar of volume, due to the reduced break-angle.

I played an early 70s D18 in Frailers a while back and it sounded stunning. Hope the D35 meets with your approval - it looks a nice guitar.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I've seen the one I suspect you're referring to on Facebook & Twitter today - it's described as 'player' grade - so it sounds like it may have had some repairs. Cracks in the top between the bridge & scratchplate are common (though not a concern if properly repairs).

I believe there was a period when the bridges were wrongly positioned - causing intonation issues - so check that.

Martins generally seem more prone to needing neck resets than other brands - check that the saddle isn't unusually low to compensate. This is a temporary cure and robs the guitar of volume, due to the reduced break-angle.

I played an early 70s D18 in Frailers a while back and it sounded stunning. Hope the D35 meets with your approval - it looks a nice guitar.
    Thanks Rich, that's great info! Yes, it's the one at AMP. Chris says it's just player wear, no breaks so i'm interested to see it.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    edited January 2017
    70s Martins generally get quite a bad press, I can't speak from experience and there will of course be exceptions to the rule, but it's not considered a desirable production decade. Probably as close as it comes to their "duff period" if they have one, unfortunately. Still worth checking out, by the sounds of it.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Doesn't Lee Anderton have a 70s D35? It sounds great in this Ariel Posen video.

FF to 49m 13s:

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    I've got a '71 D12-35 12-string which is wonderful, but it does have a slight intonation problem - you can't tune it with a tuner and have it sound in tune, you need to do it by ear and 'sweeten' it manually. It's quite a faff but it really does sound great when it's just right. I actually think it's because the *nut* is out of position, not the bridge - it's much less of a problem if you capo it and tune from there, which is OK since I keep it tuned down a tone and capo at the second for normal playing anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein