What Marshall 412 cab is this?

TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
edited December 2016 in Amps
Borrowed a cab at practice last night and I'm trying to find out some more info about it. I've used a few other marshall 4x12 (1960 and JCM800/900) in the past and none have sounded as good as this so I'm thinking it doesn't have G12T75s. Sounded much less fizzy and made my Laney sound awesome - much bigger, warmer and overall just better than my 2x12 with G12H30/V30 mix. 

In my infinite wisdom I didn't take a photo so I'll have to describe it. It was a straight Marshall 412 with dark shiny grey tolex, grey logo, a single round recessed jack input on the back rather than the usual square 2 holer they have. No other markings or anything to say what model it is! Sounds like a silver jubilee but they all look much lighter to me.

Any ideas? I just want to know what speakers they were!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wonder if was a Jcm800 lead series cab with g12-65s? Think they had a single inputs
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited December 2016
    If it only has a small mono jack input its pre-JCM800. Could be re-tolexed if its a really old one. Either that or its a reissue.

Cant really say much without photos.

Did it have metal handles?

Also, the speakers may not have been original whatever it was anyway.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited December 2016
    What colour was the grille cloth? Dark shiny grey tolex could be a JTM60 cab, although they're a 4x10" not a 4x12". That would have a straw-coloured grille - and a white logo, unless it was just dirty!

The only grey logos I can think of are on the Jubilee bass cabs, which are also 4x10"s and have a metal grille.

A deeply recessed (about as deep as the length of the plug) single jack is JCM800 era, a smaller flatter one where the jack nut is only just below the surface is older or a modern reissue.

Bearing in mind that if it was an older cab where some or all of this might not be original there's no telling what speakers might be in it - or even if it's wired right, from experience...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited December 2016
    It looked quite new or at least in good condition so unsure how old it is. The grille cloth was black. I'll try and get a photo next time I use it! It sounded great. Handles were black metal I think.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Sounds like a mode4 cab. There were two different models, one with v30s the other with k100s. They are very good cabs, I personally like the mf400 with the k100s, they sound bloody aggressive. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Hmm someone else on TGP suggested that as well. The pics online don't look much it though. Wish I'd have taken a photo, I might email the studio and get them to send one over! The person there didn't know what model it was either. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Was it noticeably bigger than a normal 4x12"? The Mode Four cabs are. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein