Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Selling my pedals to buy a Kemper

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Tempted... but ultimately put off by the time playing vs time tweaking issue that seems to come packaged with modelling gear.  I keep going back to a very small amp, decent gain control, reverb on board and a delay pedal. .. but I do just want to love the modelling gear.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tempted... but ultimately put off by the time playing vs time tweaking issue that seems to come packaged with modelling gear.  I keep going back to a very small amp, decent gain control, reverb on board and a delay pedal. .. but I do just want to love the modelling gear.. 
    That's an internet myth, at least with Helix. The need to tweak is small. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited December 2016
    Love my Kemper for home use.

I often see people say it costs too much, but it's usually people that have 3 grands worth in guitars, saying that 1k on an 'amp' that does everything is too much for home use only.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok dude, here is my advice. Fire it all up, get the amp cooking,play those pedals,shred the guitar,realise you love it all. 

Then go join a band that have thier own room and store it all there.  Once a week or more go jam and don't sell your stuff. Digital for home and all your cool stuff at rehearsal.  

Did you used to play bass at one point btw. You look familiar 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• WarpedSoundsWarpedSounds Frets: 79
    edited December 2016
    My tuppence...

@Cookiemonster makes a good point: Will you be joining another band in future? If not, it's worth considering digital for home use, especially if you're recording with the kids in the next room. 

But if you are looking to play with a band and like your amp, it might be worth buying a cheap multi such as an HD500 or Boss GT10 (or even a decent VST) for home use and keep the real thing for rehearsal. I use a GT10 with headphones for silent practice and sketching ideas when tone isn't top priority. The fx are surprisingly good and you can record via USB to use VSTs instead of the amps/fx on the unit. 

I don't own a high-end modeller so I could be wrong, but I have read a lot of people who do talking about power amps/FRFR systems for maximum effect, which can add to the overall cost.

Saying that, I have been considering the same approach and haven't fully decided either way. The main drawback is digital units can always be improved as technology develops. I know everyone says "if it's good now, it'll still be great in 25 years" etc, but to me that concept doesn't ring true with modellers of the past. I'm guessing few people would take a previous generation (fully digital) modeller over the latest and greatest (FX8 mkII being an obvious exception). Why have 99.9999999% tube-like tone when the newer version has improved on it? Few people would consider trading all of their gear for - say - an Axe FX Ultra these days. That was considered the bollocks when it was released, yet is viewed as significantly inferior to the latest and greatest. There's also the resale value to consider (as you've already mentioned similar regarding your Deville).

I'm between bands at the mo so I have two AC30s rigged up in stereo and a fairly high-end pedalboard set up in my living room with four kids. I regularly play on low volume and don't get any complaints. You obviously don't hit the sweet spot, but it still sounds great with sensible use of the volumes (luckily both amps have MVs). 

I've rarely found Fender amps to sound too bad at lower volumes. Marshalls on the other hand... Judging by your board and amp it looks like most of your gain will come from your pedals anyway. 

I suppose you have to ask yourself whether you'll be disappointed trading up and making an overall loss when you inevitably want to upgrade.

• I'd sell the Deville and get a better home amp, something smaller with a better volume control.  Then you can keep your pedalboard.   
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I'd sell the Deville and get a better home amp, something smaller with a better volume control.  Then you can keep your pedalboard.   
    +1 This too! I had an old 5w that was perfect for the house!

I can highly recommend this, if you like your clean tones...http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/90910/fs-laney-lionheart-l5t-112-uk-made#latest
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited December 2016
    I use an Audio Kitchen The Big Trees for home use, into the speaker in my 1x12 combo. 2.5 watts so pretty reasonable volume levels and I like the way it feels and sounds (I.e. like a valve amp, which isn't surprising!). Not a cheap option by any means though. 

I tried a powered Kemper last year and I just didn't like it - the tones but more especially the feel. It just wasn't fun to play (for me).

• Get a Mesa nomad 45. Go for the 1x12. Silent out and 12 effective channels.  Can also gig it.  Issues (if any) are sortable for beans and it's super cheap.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    Cacofonix said:
    Get a Mesa nomad 45. Go for the 1x12. Silent out and 12 effective channels.  Can also gig it.  Issues (if any) are sortable for beans and it's super cheap.
    I thought that was an awful amp, especially for low home volume - far too 'shouty' and difficult to dial in. It did sound better up loud, but that would be far in excess of anything you could use at home.

I much prefer the Nomad 100, the extra power doesn't make it any less usable, but it sounds better turned down and the Graphic EQ makes a huge difference to both the overall tone and how easy it is to dial in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Sorry I've not updated this thread a lot, but as you can see by the classifieds, decision made! 

Really appreciate all the advice though, it's why I love this place! 

I of course don't disagree with anyone, but kemper just makes sense to me. 

I'll report back!